Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, everyone. I have a 99 Isuzu Amigo, 4WD, auto, V6 (3.2L). Eveyone says they normally get about 18-20 mpg, but I get about 14 (if lucky)... mostly city, but easy driving. I have read that possibly it is a dirty egr valve, or pcv valve, or bad o2 sensor. I was going to run some injector cleaner in it also. I need help with the cleaning of the egr. The others seems fairly easy. But everwhere I read about the egr, it seems like people are stupid and don't know how to formulate a sentence very well. Or punctuate. I would greatly appreciate any help!
Jason

P.S. This Amigo is for sale in Kentucky (72k miles, great shape, I will send more info/pics if requested). I'm asking $6495, but open for offers. Thanks, Jason

·
Registered
564 Posts
Jason said:
Okay, everyone. I have a 99 Isuzu Amigo, 4WD, auto, V6 (3.2L). Eveyone says they normally get about 18-20 mpg, but I get about 14 (if lucky)... mostly city, but easy driving. I have read that possibly it is a dirty egr valve, or pcv valve, or bad o2 sensor. I was going to run some injector cleaner in it also. I need help with the cleaning of the egr. The others seems fairly easy. But everwhere I read about the egr, it seems like people are stupid and don't know how to formulate a sentence very well. Or punctuate. I would greatly appreciate any help!
Jason

P.S. This Amigo is for sale in Kentucky (72k miles, great shape, I will send more info/pics if requested). I'm asking $6495, but open for offers. Thanks, Jason
Cleaning the EGR can be a messy job, but it's definitely one of the less difficult jobs (if you can change spark plugs, cleaning the EGR valve shouldn't be a big deal). You can find info on cleaning the EGR at the Isuzu FAQ. A word of caution on replacing the PCV valve -- you should also replace the PCV valve grommit at the same time, and be careful when removing it that you don't tear the top off the bottom and drop the bottom into the valve cover. Fishing it out again can be a pain, but a bent paper clip or bent scribe tool will be your new best friend if you do tear the bottom off. Other easy things that can contribute to poor mileage are out-of-spec spark plugs and a dirty or clogged air filter.

But you should recognise that even a well-maintained Isuzu 3.2l, 4wd, auto vehicle will max out at around 20mpg on the freeway, and will get somewhat less in town. I would guess that all of the above would only net you around 3mpg more with a considerate foot on the accelerator.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts