Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took the first decent trip that I could get a good check on my gas milage.

This is with 285/75/16's and about 5 inches of lift on a 98 Rodeoport.

163 miles on odo (179.5 corrected) 10.001 gallons
400 miles on odo (440.5 corrected) 16.221 gallons
538 miles on odo (592.5 corrected) 9.284 gallons

16.7 MPG

This is with 4.30 gears, I will soon be switching to 4.77's and this will put me back to a bit better than stock gearing. We'll see what happens.

Joe

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
wow i didnt even get that good on my 95 rodeo stock. i guess my use of good is relative, as i never once got above 17 mpg on a trip to atlanta.

·
Registered
566 Posts
The regear should help a lot. On 33s, with 4.10s i got 14-15 city less if I got on it a lot. I actually got the same or worse on highway because it bogged so badly. With 5.38s it went to 17-18 mixed. Then with 35s, it jumped to 19-20. My commute had long stretches of 55 zones, thats when it got the best mpg. Above that it still revs a bit high and goes down. My trip to uwharrie, I was going about 70 the whole way and got 18-19.

Mine is going to be a little better since the manual tranny, but this should give you an idea of how gearing will affect yours.
________
Mythos

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like seeing those numbers. I figured it would be that way, milage going up with the better gear. I could tell this trip that on a lot of the hills it was searching with the cruise on. I'm pretty sure it won't do that with the 4.77's in.

I'm sure I'll like getting the off the line power back as well.

Joe

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Holy crud. On my Rodeo Sport 02' STOCK I am only getting 15 MPG.

If I put lower gears in there I will get better MPG??? What the heck is
wrong with my truck. 3.2 35K. I must have a clogged everything.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A lead foot will hurt milage, also check your filters, fuel, air, and keep your tires filled up right.

Also have you changed your plugs? How many miles do you have on the clock?

Joe

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
35k.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow not too much can happen in that amount of milage to do any large amounts of deteriorating in any system to net you the kind of milage you speak of.

Well, short of a lead foot and bad tire pressure. Driving habits greatly effect the milage you will get.

Just for comparison I was getting 20 to 22 on the highway before the lift and tires.

Joe

·
Premium Member
3,580 Posts
bigpoppax2 said:
...I was getting 20 to 22 on the highway before the lift and tires.
I got a little over 22mpg on my last trip to see Doug & Lisa... and that's with stock 4.30 gears and a set of 265/75s
(plus I was weighed-down with 2 full coolers and all of my camping gear - along with the usual half-a-ton of tools & crap!)

Go figure, right? :shock:

Cheers!
Smiley

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
joe - curious what your mileage was with the 4.77's
(and the 33's, not the 34's)

would the mileage be that much better with 4.77 over 4.56?

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm getting about 18 or so with the 33's and 4.77's.

It's a pretty nice difference.

4.77's are a perfect fit IMHO for the 33's or just a bit larger.

I know the 4.56's are easier to find but I'd try for a set of 4.77's.

If you need help locating a set let me know, I may be able to help.

I know the rear gears are still available to buy through Jerry and they aren't too bad just to buy. You'll be paying install labor though.

I have found the front 4.77 third member for as little as 85 bucks shipped.

Joe

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
so you do not need the full install kit with the carrier that matt sells for the dana 44?

just a ring and pinion for the rear and a front third member?

if i could get the 4.77's that would be amazing. its a summer project. (well, goal more likely)

install labour can;t be that much though, is it?

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'd go ahead and get a set of shims and bearings at least. Install can run from a 6 pack to 300 bucks or so.

The rear needs to be as close to perfect as it can be.

Joe

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.