Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building a case to get a recall or even a new part. The ones that will run into this or already have are the second gens up to 2001. They changed the part number in 01 and evidently fixed the sending unit.

Please post your truck make Isuzu or Honda

Your year

And what milage(s) yours quit

What was replaced (if you had yours fixed)

Honda
9000 miles, 75000 and it's time again
Replaced fuel sending unit

·
Registered
416 Posts
Honda
40K miles and finally fixed it myself at 90K miles
Dealer wanted $300 for part + 2 hrs labor to fix
at 115K miles and working

I figure it will probably break again and this part should be recalled.

I already posted this on NHTSA.org years ago.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I don't know if you guys are aware of this- but atleast on 2000 zu's, the sending unit will be covered by the powertrain warranty. Either 10yrs/120Kmi original owner or 5yrs/60Kmi for subsequent owners. Per isuzu's warranty documentation, the "fuel pump" is covered by the powertrain warranty. Check here: http://www.isuzu.com/owners_warranty_2000to2002.jsp#
The fuel pump and sending unit for 1998-2000 is one integral part. I'm sure you'll have to "jog" the memory of some dealers to get them to bill isuzu for this :roll:
G/luck
Joel

·
Registered
416 Posts
The sender came right off the pump on my 1999. It takes one screw to remove it and some fiddling with plastic clips.

According to Keith on the SUV forum, it can be ordered seperately for my year, but the dealer doesn't offer it that way unless you ask for the part number.

·
Registered
591 Posts
¡Oracle! said:
The sender came right off the pump on my 1999. It takes one screw to remove it and some fiddling with plastic clips.

According to Keith on the SUV forum, it can be ordered seperately for my year, but the dealer doesn't offer it that way unless you ask for the part number.
That's what it boils down to. You go to the dealer to get your gas gauge issue fixed, the dealer will replace the whole unit (pump & sending unit assembly) The fuel pump is covered by the isuzu powertrain warranty. Kinda tricky :shock: :roll:

Joel

·
Registered
12 Posts
So what should we do? I called the dealer and they want me to buy the whole unit for $ 303. I only need the sending unit. Does anybody know the part number?

BTW, mine is a 99 Rodeo with 70K miles.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 1999 rodeo. The low fuel light has been blinking sine ~70k. At 100k, the check engine light started coming on periodically. Soon after, the emergency brake light came on. I have all three lights on now. Won't need the dome light soon.... Any ideas?

·
Registered
52 Posts
kinselm said:
I have a 1999 rodeo. The low fuel light has been blinking sine ~70k. At 100k, the check engine light started coming on periodically. Soon after, the emergency brake light came on. I have all three lights on now. Won't need the dome light soon.... Any ideas?
for your fuel light and check engine light should be the same issue causing this which would be the fuel sending unit the sender can be purchased new from the dealer at about $45 easy install
brake light or abs light ? brake light usually means low fluid condition or Ebrake isnt completly released

·
Registered
1 Posts
i'm guessing i'm having the same problem as everyone else...my wife's 1999 Isuzu Rodeo has had the check eng. light flash on and off since about 72K miles. Now, when you idle too long, the gas gauge goes crazy and the entire car kind of shudders. sending unit?? :?: :?:

thanks...Scott

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, just joined the forum.

I bought my 98 Rodeo last week and have this gas gauge problem!!!

I don't know when it started on this truck since I just bought it, but it has 72K on it right now.

Mine is a 3.2L V6 with 2WD in case that matters any.

I would like to fix it myself so if anyone can supply detailed diy instructions I would appreciate it. I haven't been under it yet but it looks kind of "busy" up there when I look up from the rear to get the tank lowered.

Thanks,

Kevin.

·
Registered
2 Posts
:? I was having problems with my 98 Amigo a couple years ago. Took it to a dealership in WVA. The tech said he was the cause of the guage quitting. His Service Mgr. said it was an ongoing problem with these vehicles. Starnge how it was fine when I took it in there. Nonetheless vehicle had around 80k on it when it quit. Now at 106k I still have no gauge. It is a good thing the tripometer works and I knew what mileage I could get on a full tank. I now know about 5 people who have lost the fuel gauge on their Amigo. Just like the ABS problems that took Isuzu a long time to recall. This will probably go on for a long time before they recall. :roll: :shock:

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a 98 Rodeo with 71k that has been giving me bad gas gauge problems since day one. In 99 had sender unit/fuel pump unit replaced. Still went bad over over the years. I just lived with it until it just stayed at 1/4 full all the time and wife didn't want to drive it anymore.

Last week I went to the dealer and an upgrade sender unit kit is available PN 8-25323-011-0. $60.91 2 1/2 labors to install for $160.00 labor. Seems to work fine now. Apparently the unit has to be calibrated with special test unit that Izuzu dealers have. Also the tank has to be dropped. The tech that did the prodecure at the dealer knew all about it as hes done dozens of these mods.

It seems to be working. However on a 21 gal tank, I have never been able to pump more than 18.5 gal into the gas tank. Even when riding around with the low level light blaring for more than 30 miles. One day I guess I will just carry a can with me and run it out till it stalls to see how much gas I can really get in a dry tank.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I'm very curious to see this "upgrade" kit.

I was told this by my dealer a few YEARS ago when mine went bad. I ended up fixing my own sender and it's been fine since. Since I know what the stock one looks like I'd like to see what it looks like to see if it's true. :)

Thanks for the P/N

·
Registered
19 Posts
The "upgrade" kit consisted of two sender units with wiring that connected to the sender/fuel pump unit. It looked like float units with a pigtail wiring harness attached to it. By the way, the kit consisted of two senders, but only one of them is used on the Isuzu Rodeo. They were slightly different than each other. Instructions came with the box. The instructions were very specific on not to bend the wire float arm as this would cause the gauge to be inaccurate. Including the blob about after having this upgrade installed, the fuel gauge had to be calibrated IAW some Isuzu calibration set.

I was going to do this myself but when I read the factory service manual and read that the tank had to be dropped, etc., I went back to the dealer and had them install the kit. If it wasn't for dropping the tank, I think this upgrade kit woud be an easy install for the weekend mech. It looked like the kit consisted of relacing the approapriate float arm assembly with the pigtail wiring harness attached to it. But the calibration requirement would be the hardest part for me without that special Isuzu" box.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.