Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having this weird issue with my 94 rodeo. started last night after i jumped my other car with it. was just driving to work this morning and my battery, gas and brake light all came on. stayed on for a minute or so then whent off. then randomly came back on again. any ideas?

·
Registered
5,475 Posts
Might seem unusual to you, but very common problem on these trucks, specially after jumping another car.

Your truck is trying to tell you it's low on voltage, either your alternator or battery, or perhaps both, are failing.

Run your truck by Autozone or Checker/O'reilly's, they're good at doing a free voltage check to let you know which part is failing.

Don't continue to drive this way, it WILL leave you stranded.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i figured that. i know the battery is kinda old but yeah i will get it checked out for sure. the battery gauge is reading 12V maybe a little more but it is usually a bit more then that. until yesterday atleast :p

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
when driving it home last night from work the volt gauge said around 12V. the lights stayed off till i got to a light and had to come to a stop, then they came on. but as soon as i started driving again they would go off. however this morning coming to work when i fired it up it was right around 14V and stayed their. so im hoping it will be ok. ill just keep an eye on it for a while

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
No warning lights or low voltage readings while 'under way', but getting them while stopped is classic failing alt. Or dirty alt, gone through any water/mud/dust lately? Gunk/dirt/debris swirling around the brushes will yield unstable/varied voltage like that.

Until you can give that alt a true 'clean-bill-of-health' I would carry a spare batt.

~psguardian

·
Registered
677 Posts
This is either:

1. Alt is fixin to die

2. Battery is fixin to die

3. Bad connections at battery.

4. Bad ground at battery

5. bad pos at battery

This kind of thing is typical in our trucks. Only having 12v while running is usually only normal during acceleration, not once you get up to speed.

·
Registered
5,475 Posts
Something's going....need to figure it out before you get stranded....these trucks WILL strand you, don't doubt that....if you mess with their food (i.e. volts) they'll act like two yr old brats! :lol:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts