Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my local JY just pulled a 2nd gen Trooper in with a G80 rear.

I'd like to snag it. THey want $80. Besides the obvious benefit of getting to add another line to my Planetisuzoo signature ( 8) ) what is the benefit of it? I've had "posi" diffs in muscle cars, but my Trooper aint no drag racer.

Are there benefits in snow or ice? Any possible off-road benefit?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Surprisingly it helps a lot. If you apply the hand break and are soft on the pedal it acts somewhat as a rear locker. NO joke. Make sure you change the fluid and get some LSD additive :D

·
Registered
289 Posts
The LSD is crap for wheeling.... They don't really work well when worn out. you will spin one wheel all day long in off camber situations.... e brake or not. lock it if you wheel it. if you drive in snow leave the diffs open. the LSD may help a tad but not much

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Get it. I bought one for my trooper and love it. The rear end feels like one piece. I cannot peel rubber like I could with a open diff no matter what I try even in the rain. I get a slight peel but mostly just solid acceleration.
In the snow it helps by adding the ability to snap the rear end around in situations where understeer can cause you to slide into a parked car or gaurd rail. It has no ill effects that I can complain about in snow or ice.

In wheeling situations it gives you a fighting chance to work your way in and out of a low traction situation where a open diff will just let the power go to the wheel with the least resistence. If you drive into a situation where you have one wheel in the air, it won't help you much. But if your going to wheel that hard it would be wise to have a wheeling buddy with a tow strap or two anyways.

I say get it, if you don't like it another member here will buy it from you.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'm seeing varying opinions.

Here's mine. Once you get used to it, they are great. As long as it's working properly. If the clutches are burned up already, then they are just as useless as an open, in snow and ice. If you do alot of wheeling/offroad, and are looking for the lock-up, just save your dough and get a locker. Hanging one wheel and losing traction isn't good for it and will burn up quicker.

Having said all that, for $80?????? It's worth a shot. It cost more than that to fill the thing up.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Mine came with a open rear. I got a Truetrac LSD with helical gears, so there are no clutches that wear out.

The difference is amazing. I had a muddy slope that I climbed out of my old driveway and I always spun a wheel and tore up the grass.
After the LSD was installed, I never had any wheel slip. Taking turns on slippery roads also saw an improvement in traction and less wheel slip/spin.

Doing burnouts resulted in straight shots. No crazy swerving, so it also helped my stability. I could feel both tires grip the road and flex the axle.
I tried it in snow and could easily control the fishtails depending on how I press/stab the skinny pedal.
On a snow covered road, I was in the center of a steep incline traffic light. I climbed right up no problems or wheels spinning. This is in 2WD!

I will say that LSD is better than an open diff anyday. Just get used to not accelerating too hard on slippery roads and turns.
If I do mine will sometimes slip but then both wheels catch. Its supposed to act as an open diff on turns anyways.

Its the best of both worlds without going full locker.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I would buy it from you in a heartbeat. I do mild wheeling and mostly use it as a DD. I have looked for one for some time and have come close but never found one here in Northern Nevada. It would help to have a junkyard in these parts but none have survived.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
dude for 80 bucks why not?! :) I would get one and rebuild it for fun but the YJ around here only have 86s and none of them came with LSDs...plenty of round headlight grills but no g80s...in the bright side that's encouraging me to save for a locker tho :D

·
Registered
715 Posts
My experience is slightly different than others here.
I LOVE my LSD for offroad. I only lock my front hubs for the most severe situations.
On the other hand, for driving on snow & ice, it is scary. I suppose maybe it was a combination of a torque cam, but the slightest acceleration would cause the rear end to break loose, on turns or going straight.
If I was going to use this Trooper for a DD in the winter, I would probably swap the open diff back in till the snow was gone.

I hope this doesn't confuse you too much.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK,

I was back in the 'ol JY yesterday and took another look at this Trooper. Here's what I found out and can someone verify if I've got it right?

-The option tag in the engine compartment shows 'G80' among options

-In neutral, when one side is rotated, the opposite rotated in the SAME direction.

-In gear (Troop is a 5-speed), when one side is rotated, the opposite side rotated in the opposite direction. However, I was not able to do this by hand and had to insert a long bar into the lug nuts.

Does this sound consistent with a healthy, normal G80?

Or could it be damaged, or swapped out and not even in there?

·
Registered
715 Posts
When I installed my G80, I jacked up the back and rotated one wheel and the other one went the opposite direction like an open diff would. While driving though, I definitely have limited slip. No question about it.
I wouldn't be concerned.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I would say it sounds ok. What you need to be aware of is the gearing changed some through the years and sometimes from auto to manual. Find out what year it is you are pulling it from and can check to see if it is the same ratio as your current differential.

·
Registered
129 Posts
there's also an option code to tell you what gearing it has.

HC6 is 41/9 - 4.56
GT5 is 41/10 - 4.1
S2J is 43/9 - 4.78
S7C is 43/10 - 4.3

Hope that helps.

If it happens to be a 96 or 97, can you check the condition of the driver side front mud flap - I need one for my trooper! THANKS!

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
MUDSLUT said:
The LSD is crap for wheeling.... They don't really work well when worn out. you will spin one wheel all day long in off camber situations.... e brake or not. lock it if you wheel it. if you drive in snow leave the diffs open. the LSD may help a tad but not much
I disagree. For serious rock crawling you need lockers. But in most situations the LSD works well. I have done several mild wheeling trips lately with folks with locked up trucks. I've cleaned stuff they spin out on. The locker is great for untimate traction but in many cases you lose your anchor point because of wheel spin. I good tight LS will help traction without throwing you sideways off your line. Even a worn one can be rebuilt with new clutches. The Isuzu LSD is a tight, durable unit.

In snow or on ice it can bite you. It can break both tires loose and slide you sideways. Not hard to learn though and wil give you the extra traction needed to get up hill in slippery conditions. I love mine. For a mostly street truck it serves me very well indeed. I've had a 1st gen with open diffs, and 2 with LSDs. I'll take the LSD.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Tatohead said:
OK,

I was back in the 'ol JY yesterday and took another look at this Trooper. Here's what I found out and can someone verify if I've got it right?

-The option tag in the engine compartment shows 'G80' among options

-In neutral, when one side is rotated, the opposite rotated in the SAME direction.

-In gear (Troop is a 5-speed), when one side is rotated, the opposite side rotated in the opposite direction. However, I was not able to do this by hand and had to insert a long bar into the lug nuts.

Does this sound consistent with a healthy, normal G80?

Or could it be damaged, or swapped out and not even in there?

If they go in the same direction in nuetral you have an LSD. If you have a Known LSD and they go in opposite direction you either have it in park or in gear or your LSD is really worn. If it is in nuetral and they go opposite then you have an open diff.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts