Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I'll admit that few will like this look, but for those like me that like the look of the stock Isuzu center cap, here's something I did just for fun in about 5 minutes. I already had the parts required, so there was no cost.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

My original factory canvas cover has a badly split seam, as do most that I see. Also, when I went to the larger 265/75 tires, it wouldn't fit anyway. The solution to dress things up a bit is to put a matching center cap on the spare.

The problem is, the plastic hanger on the wheel mount sticks out too far to mount the cap. This piece is held on with a single 12mm nut, and is very easily removed.

The 3 bolts that hold the spare on are then threaded through the mount from behind, so that they stick out like lug bolts. The reason for doing this is that factory lug nuts hold these center caps on far more securely than the spare wheel bolts. Also, with the hanger gone, it's nice to have lug nuts to hang the wheel onto while you tighten.

The only parts I needed I already had:

Center cap
3 lug nuts

Anyways, just a little tip for a small cosmetic upgrade. :idea:

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
On mine I have centercap and the beauty ring...pimpin :mrgreen: ....naked spares just look...well...naked :oops:

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Never would have thought of that. Looks good though!

·
Registered
84 Posts
That is a great idea. If not for the aesthetics but for the three extra lugnuts. In case of one of those "oohhh fudge" moments on the side of the road.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I am planning on putting lug studs in just like you when I get a matching spare. Looks good.

·
Registered
146 Posts
An addition to the mod could be a pin with a hole in it for a padlock. Previous owner of mine did that and it's a nice addition for someone that has a few hundred $ into a full size spare.

·
Registered
84 Posts
jeffs_62 said:
An addition to the mod could be a pin with a hole in it for a padlock. Previous owner of mine did that and it's a nice addition for someone that has a few hundred $ into a full size spare.
Mine just has a locking lug nut.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's a great idea.

I will admit.... I wanted a spare to match the other tires size wise, and I found this one out in a field in a pile of old tires.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Well I went down to the hardware store and they didnt have any grade 8 bolts to fit :( I need to track them down and some locking lug nuts because I just ordered my matching spare :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts