Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rodeo amigo 98+ sending unit.. which part actually goes bad. The float? Ever hear of taping several super strength magnets to the top of the whole cartridge that slides out of the tank? Would that do anything?? Just threw that out there.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
as the level of gas changes the float goes down , the other end of the float has a var resistor that has wipers on it , the problem is the wipers contacts lose their tension and don't make good contact and send bad resistance readings .

i have cleaned the contacts and bent the wipers and they work. even a new one over time will go bad , it's the way they are designed .

magnet won't help anything .

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anyone ever remove rear carpet and cut a hole in the the floor to make a square. And change sending unit . Instead of dropping the tank. And then seam seal and screw a oversized patch back on? Sounds butchring but ?

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
i have done that on 3 rodeos , you have to measure from the rear and passenger side after looking very good to find the location of the sending unit/fuel pump , then cut the carpet larger than the hole you will cut in the floor .

then i drilled holes on the 4 corners where i was going to cut the floor , make the hole in the floor bigger than you think you need because wiggleing the pump/sender out is a little tricky as the floot itself is at a angle. i then just kept drilling holes around the square , then used a hack saw blade cutter the finish cutting the square out. be carefull and don't drill or cut wires / gas lines/gas tank , take a look and see how much clearence you have between the floor and gas tank

its not easy but once its done if you are planing to keep the truck the next time will be easy. removing the 2 fuel connectors is tricky also , when you have the hole cut out take some pictures of the top of the fuel tank so you get things back together correct.

when the sending unit ( i get them on ebay , cheapest place , they are good ) is in and all together i use JB weld to put the metal part back on the floor , then lay a piece of alum from home depot over the top of it after it dries so it won't break if someone steps on it , even thou its under the rear seat. then use uph glue to put the carpet together.

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
Look at the "fingers" on the wiper of the FSU...

Old FSU

New FSU

Only took me a couple hours to do mine in a parking lot by myself. Was less work then trying to mess with cutting holes in the right spot and not drill through the wrong thing.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have a 99 Amigo with 3.2
So my wacky fuel gauge is most likely due to the fuel sending unit. And to install a new one you have to drop the tank? How do I go about dropping the tank? I was just under there to replace the fuel filter and saw a couple bolts and nuts holding the bands that hold the tank up.
Can you guys walk me through all the steps you have to do to drop the tank?
And the steps to replace the FSU?
Thanks!
(and is a certain brand better than another brand?)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yokomo said:
I have a 99 Amigo with 3.2
So my wacky fuel gauge is most likely due to the fuel sending unit. And to install a new one you have to drop the tank? How do I go about dropping the tank? I was just under there to replace the fuel filter and saw a couple bolts and nuts holding the bands that hold the tank up.
Can you guys walk me through all the steps you have to do to drop the tank?
And the steps to replace the FSU?
Thanks!
(and is a certain brand better than another brand?)
By "wacky fuel gauge" I assume you mean sometimes works, sometimes not, sometimes partially works, etc.? Before I jumped in with both feet to replace the FSU, I would make sure that is the problem. My Trooper's acted that way then finally quit altogether. All it took to remedy it was securing the plug-ins at the tank. Make sure your wires/terminals are making good contact. My 'Zu is bad about losing grounds.

If that doesn't do it, use a voltmeter to make sure you have juice at the plug. If you do, check the FSU for continuity (I would do this while someone poured a gallon or 2 into the tank--check continuity with ohm setting--watch for it to vary without "dropping out". Analog voltmeter w/needle). None--that's your problem. Time to fret over dropping the tank.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts