Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've been gradually fixing stuff on my new truck, the other day it just died on me at a light, ..

After a week of putzing around, finaly had her hauled to a local garage, prognosis is bad fuel pump.. it is the factory original, guess it was time.. just looking at opinions here, my quote for the new pump, the tow, the diagnoses and the labor is $288.95. Am I getting ripped here? Never dealt with replacing a fuel pump before..

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Naw that isnt terrible. They're clearly not replacing it with OEM though. Just curious, why not do it yourself? It isnt hard.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
DigitalDrifter said:
So, I've been gradually fixing stuff on my new truck, the other day it just died on me at a light, ..

After a week of putzing around, finaly had her hauled to a local garage, prognosis is bad fuel pump.. it is the factory original, guess it was time.. just looking at opinions here, my quote for the new pump, the tow, the diagnoses and the labor is $288.95. Am I getting ripped here? Never dealt with replacing a fuel pump before..
That is not a ripoff price.

What kind of warranty are they giving on the pump ?

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
thats not a bad price, the task of dropping the tank is a bare
and oh yeah
Bosch or OEM only!
Ask me how I know :lol:

·
Registered
11,705 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Just buy a fuel pump and do it yourself. I did it on my 88 and I'm 16. However the only hard part(or atleast the part that caused me the most trouble was putting the tank cover back on. It was heavy and hard to by myself. And it was impossibly hard to get bolts in the right spot.

However I can't say much about the price since I did mine myself. And have never paid for it on another car. It would be much cheaper to do it yourself. And if you do it yourself. Replace all the rubber hoses. If there still the original you fuel mileage will appreciate it.

·
Banned
3,178 Posts
*****WORDS OF WARNING******
I have multiple Isuzu Troopers from '88-'91 that use the 2.6 EFI system and have been replacing fuel pumps lately more often thean oil filters if you get my drift. I don't know what's going on exactly, whether it's shoddy pumps, water in the gas, ethanolated gas etc, but my highest concern here would be to get a warrantee from the shop that covers parts and labor, because you could very well be back in a few weeks or months.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Appreciate the responses all, FYI I would do it myself, but due to multiple excuses am happy to pay a fair price... Gonna get timing cover, front/rear main seal, head gasket, valve cover gasket, clutch & fuel pump all done at same time while its in there.. Gonna be around 700$, I already had a oem clutch kit, that price includes the fuel pump but not all the gaskets..

This 1300$ trooper by the time I'm doneish will rapidly approach the 3k mark.. but the 700$ or so I've already put in it includes full tuneup, new tires, all filters and vacum lines.. next stop, arb bumper I found locally sitting on a running bu t rusted out 88 that's a perfect bolt on for my truck. :roll: :twisted:

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
You found a real arb for a first gen here in SC? where where ?? That is one rare bird if its really a first gen trooper arb and not one modified to fit it. Something like only 10 were made.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Less than 300 including labor. Do it! I have done that job several times and can do it rather quickly. But I hate that job. That price for a quality pump and him to wrestle with the tank not you. I say go for it if you trust this mechanic. Tell him to replace all 3 rubber lines from the tank to the hard lines (2' each) and use real hose clamps while he has the tank out as well. fuel filter also.

·
Registered
7,528 Posts
NO AIRTEX PUMPS, youve been warned......HORROR Stories about them in Isuzus. Jerry and I had a nice conversation about them at URE

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
A total of 3K for a good solid running, fully tuned, refurbished SUV is still a great price. For that 3K, you will gets lots of love out of it.

·
Banned
3,178 Posts
Installed an airtex pump today, you can read all the details in the drivetrain problems section. I didn't bother installing all the bolts in the tank or putting the skid plate back on, I'm sure I'll be taking it back within a month or 2. So to date I've installed 7 fuel pumps on 2 Troopers over the course fo about 3 months. I seriously want to know WTF is going on. I think it's something in the gas.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
********** said:
Installed an airtex pump today, you can read all the details in the drivetrain problems section. I didn't bother installing all the bolts in the tank or putting the skid plate back on, I'm sure I'll be taking it back within a month or 2. So to date I've installed 7 fuel pumps on 2 Troopers over the course fo about 3 months. I seriously want to know WTF is going on. I think it's something in the gas.
I think you're problem starts with an A
get a Bosch from Rockauto, about the same price as you are paying for the airtex at your local parts store.

·
Banned
3,178 Posts
Well, in an ideal situation that's what I would've done, but considering I was broken down 60 miles from home, I took what I could get. It came with a 1 year warrantee.... WooHoo, they're confident that it will last for a year.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts