Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just over 2 years ago I put in an Airtex pump and it gave up on me last night.

Recommendations please...

cheers
-Ian :blackeye:

·
Premium Member
4,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ACDELCO $219
BECK/ARNLEY $298
DELPHI $194
BOSCH $294
NAPA $194

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
OEM is the entire unit. Most replacements are pump motor only.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I installed a BOSCH 2 years ago in my 95 rodeo and its still working good turns out my oem one wasn't the problem i was having but oh well i know the pump will be good for now i will never! drop the tank in this car again to change the pump i will cut a access door in the trunk if i need too i wish i did what a pain in the arss. isn't ACDELCO GM? that's close enough to oem these car are like Japanese gm's lol. also get a new filter strainer on the pump and its possible the pump failed so quickly because of heat if that may be the case keep the tank 1/2 full or so as often as possible the fuel will help cool the pump so ive heard.

·
Premium Member
4,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have an ACDelco coming for $104. It should arive Monday.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
4,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Today I drained 18 gallons of fuel from the tank to allow an easier drop. The fuel was filthy. I strained what I could through a paint strainer and five gallon buckets and now thinking maybe flush the tank? When I drop the tank should I clean and if so, what with?

Cheers

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
I used ethanol gas and about 2% water. The two together make an acid which will leave your tank looking like polished aluminum. True story though not intentional.

If you remove all guts, you can use most parts cleaners, kerosene, or mineral spirits. A hand wand style pump-up sprayer is handy. If it has scale, either a fairly thick length of chain 3/8" or so, gravel, etc is excellent for shaking about the tank to assist in removing the rough stuff. You also have the option of taking it to a car wash. You really need some type of aggregate (chain) inside to bust up and remove scaly matter. Radiator shop is an excellent alternative. This all assumes the tank is salvageable. If it has the scaly matter to excess, it might require a sealant afterward.

·
Premium Member
4,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The interior seems to be in good shape. A simple flush may be all I need. Since I have it out I may paint it, devil red :twisted: ...... :D

Cheers

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Soapy water might do the trick. If you're limited to ethanol, make sure the tank is desert dry before adding fuel. It takes as little as 1% water in ethanol to ruin your day, week, month.

·
Premium Member
4,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Picked up the pump today and it is not the right one :x grrr.... I suppose now I have time to paint the tank :roll:

cheers

·
Premium Member
4,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The pump I have is the delphi FE0198, it is for the 92-97 Troopers. The one I need is delphi FE0192 for my 91.
Does anyone know the specs on these two pumps. The reason I ask is because I really do not want to have to send back the wrong one and wait for the right one if they produce the same numbers. The only physical difference is the size of the pump. The tech at the Suzuki store said the pumps should be produce the same flow and that he has swapped pumps before with no problem as long as they are the same mechanically and not physically.

*******, you are up :D

cheers

·
Banned
3,178 Posts
Nope, way different. Your '91 uses very low pressure for the GM TBI system. The '92's are the 3.2 high pressure EFI pump... won't work. Get the right pump. I usually pressure wash my tanks out with hot water then let air dry, then blow out with compressed air, let air dry until it's the Sahara inside. Sorry for my Johnny come lately, just saw this thread for the first time.

·
Banned
3,178 Posts
electricpuppyboy said:
Bob, that's the pump for the 2.6, Ian has the 2.8 Bart just put that pump in his red RS, I wanna see how long it holds out cuz it sure looks a lot like an Airtecx pump with a Bosch logo on it to me..
Ok, well I went back and looked at the photos and there are some differences between the Airtex and that Bosch pump, the biggest and most significant is the marking on the top which says "made in Japan"... that's a good sign. I may buy one of those pumps just in case I'm ever forced to run an ITEC system in the future.

·
Premium Member
4,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well puke the bed. That is what I figured, guess I will just do the right thing and get the right pump. I have cleaned out the tank, it was not that dirty. I just used soap and water then out it in a closet with a dehumidifier. It is dry as a bone. I have the tank sanded and ready for prime and then paint. Devil red paint :twisted: I figure it is fitting, considering the trouble I have had dropping this tank as opposed to the other two troopers I have had.

Will post photos soon.

cheers

·
Premium Member
4,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.