Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started the truck this morning to let it warm up before taking it to get the new tires mounted. It idled for a few minutes as I took some stuff out of the interior. As I was walking away it just shut off without hesitation. Never done that before so I went back to try to start it and it doesn't even catch the slightest bit. I changed the fuel filter some time in the spring I believe.

Put some fuel in the throttle body and she fires. I'm a little sad, since the fuel pump's going to set me back another $150 at rockauto.. (300-500 at advance!!) and it just had to happen on my way to put the tires on the truck.

All the whining aside... Shouldn't complain though..260,000 on the original fuel pump!

Does anyone know if the Airtex pump assemblies are any good? Maybe I should call Jerry to see if he has another OEM one.

EDIT -- I fried some wires, see below...

·
Registered
11,939 Posts
For all the effort required to replace the pump I would first make absolutely sure it is the pump and not the pump relay or some other electrical anomaly that prevents the pump from operating. If is the pump, I personally would replace it with an OEM pump because it is known quality. Further, as I recall the Airtex pump is not plug and play, it requires rewiring of the connector.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Buster28 said:
For all the effort required to replace the pump I would first make absolutely sure it is the pump and not the pump relay or some other electrical anomaly that prevents the pump from operating. If is the pump, I personally would replace it with an OEM pump because it is known quality. Further, as I recall the Airtex pump is not plug and play, it requires rewiring of the connector.
I just got back inside after playing around with it... I found that the #8 fuse under the dash is blowing for ENGINE BACK L. When I replace it, it doesn't blow immediately but after the truck cranks over for a few seconds. I know the injectors aren't firing.. I unplugged those and cranked it and it still burnt another fuse.

I looked around the motor and made sure none of the wires are in odd places or rubbed or burnt through. I must be missing something here. Anyone know what the Engine Back L refers to?

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow...

That's very interesting. Engine Back L must stand for Backup Light. The truck's now purring like a kitten again, the culprit was a burnt through wire.

Apparently when I put the motor back in I missed the wire tie down for one of the motor bolts, and the wiring for the 4wd and reverse indicator hit the exhaust and melted through the back up wire grounding out on the exhaust....:oops: Who'd a thought that'll cause the motor to not run!!

I cut that end of the harness off since it's destroyed anyway.. I'll have to get one from the junkyard and solder it in.

Good stuff.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
88bronzetrooper said:
Lol i think thats the same fuse we blue on 22 in Spartanburg lol.
I think your correct :shock:

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, that's what tipped me off to digging further! I had fuel pressure at the TBI, it would run if I put gas in it's throat... but the injectors didn't fire.

Same exact symptoms as the race truck..... Crazy stuff.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Got it.. I'll check the wiring to make sure everythings good before Windrock.. Thanks Doug..

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The funny thing was that I remembered I traded fuel pump relays with #22 and thought maybe I got an isuzu virus or something lol.

Ill check the harness to see which actual wire it was but I'm almost positive it's the reverse wire.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Ruination said:
The funny thing was that I remembered I traded fuel pump relays with #22 and thought maybe I got an isuzu virus or something lol.

Ill check the harness to see which actual wire it was but I'm almost positive it's the reverse wire.
:laughing1: :laughing1:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts