Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone here ever put any fuel additives in there gas tank to get a little more out of their gas ?i think i get decent gas mielage now with my rodeo, i never really kept track, but i was just wondering....? - justin

·
Registered
825 Posts
Most addatives won't provide much benifit for MPG.... but some will provide some cleaning and lubrication of the upper cylinder area, which can prolong engine life. Marvel Mystery Oil being one of them. The only addative that I can say has actualy provided some milage benifits, from what I have read, is Fuel Power.

·
Registered
825 Posts
another way to get a more rapid dose, that can do a bit more cleaning with the seaofam. is to slowly, (carefull, slowly) poor it into your brake booster line(while idling), will get sucked in through the intake and clean out deposits.. You don't want to poor to fast though, too much fluid could cause damage in a compression chamber... just let it "suck" it slowly, a little at a time, you can tell when it's hitting the enine as the engine will bog down.. keep on pooring, very slowly increasing the poor rate untill it kills the engine... let it sit for about 20 minuts, then restart it up, and drive around the neighborhood and smoke it up. hehe. (to get an idea of poor rate, it shoudl take several minuts to use up 1/4 a can. use somewhere around 1/4-1/3 of the can in the proccess).

another cheaper method is to poor distilled water in with the same method- the small water droplets will explode into vapor on contact with hot engines parts, as they do, they will "explode" away deposit build-ups in the opper engine area. for best results with eithor method, bring engine up to operating temp before hand.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Fuel Power is only available @ www.lubecontrol.com. It has increased my gas mileage by 1 to 2 mpg. I worked out the cost per gallon for FP and found that it paid for itself. Not everyone has experienced the increase mpg, but most have. It also gives my rodeo more pep. It just feels more revvy then before.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Be very carefull when using any additives!!!!!! :shock:

Additives and fuel injection is a bad combination! :(
if the additive is "hotter" then gas it will eat plastic fuel system parts
and give you lots of trouble.

acetone would not be my choise. :?

yellow heet (methyl-alcohol) used in high doseages 2-3 bottles per tank
will tear out fuel pumps and injectors and blah blah blah

But damn it's fun while the pump holds :twisted:
i tore-up a 97 chevy 4.3L V-6 that way, and parts are spendy!! :evil:

·
Registered
70 Posts
I second the acetone. It gives the rodeo more pep and a little, little better fuel econonmy. No more thick black soot build up on tailpipe. Acetone will not eat any fuelline components. 2.5 oz for every 10 gallons

Jsuzu

·
Registered
29 Posts
if you realy have to have there overnight and ontime you will have to mix fuel. ifin you are bumpin around in your stocker why wast time an money. and yes too much isnt a good thing lol. if you mix fuels you will need a adjatater like aceatone to keep it all mixed

·
Registered
70 Posts
tomster said:
While acetone has an octane of 150+, the real kicker is that it is supposed to improve the vaporization of the fuel. I am not sure how much a kick a modern fuel injected engine would get though. Apparently some per the above post. Here is an article for some more info - http://www.lubedev.com/smartgas/additive.htm
This particular article is using acetone as a "surfactant" as they claim it lowers the surface tention of gasoline* allowing the fuel to break down into smaller particles making for easier burning.

*"surface tention(ST)" carefully pour a spoon-full of water onto a hard smooth surface, observe the water standing/rising off the table, 1/8" - 1/4" tall, Now add a small drop of soap to the puddle of water and watch it flatten out. pure water has a specific ammount of ST, soap reduces the ST.

Now then, you could use that same method to test acetones ability to break ST. just remember that your dealing with less then 1 percent acetone in you gasoline so test accordingly.

It's going to take some research before i'll risk trying it in an engine.
research is easy, engines are expensive!

·
Registered
825 Posts
i have heard mixed feelings about acetone in fuel.... proceed with caution and accept the risks if you want to try it.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I've heard of the acetone trick before. What I heard was that it only works with Premium (98 octane) gasoline to increase mileage. The ratio given was one shot glass to 15 gallons or a full tank.

I run a bottle of STP Injector cleaner in a tank full of 89 octane every other oil change and it seems to keep things working right. Other than that, and changing the fuel filter every other oil change I don't put additives in the gas. I've tried 87 and 98 octane gasolines and with the 87 my mileage sucks! However using the 98 octane doesn't help in any way, so I stick with 89. My rig is mostly driven in the city with stop and go traffic being the norm and I'm getting between 18 - 20 mpg.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.