Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

So, I bought my first trooper (a 1988 S, MUA5, Red with Grey interior and no air conditioning, radio, rear bumper, working emissions equipment, etc.) with a rough 243K miles on the clock in January of 2009 and managed to put almost 5k miles on it in the two years.

My wife named it Big John.

Big John has continued to deteriorate as I relearned how to offroad :( and learned quirks of Isuzu maintenance (not too bad really, except pollution control annoyance). So many things were wrong with it, even though it posed well for pictures. However, it's time for Big John to be passed onto a friend that will (in all likelihood) just continue to abuse it.

I wanted a trooper that started out in a little better shape. I ended up with this:

A 193k mile Red 1988, XS, MUA5, with grey interior, everything works (a few things don't work perfectly) and a rebuilt engine with an aftermarket head, both with approximately 70k.

All I can say is that i know what I like.

So, here is the plan. (it will likely change over time)
First, there are several items on the new trooper that could use replacing...fortunately Big John has working versions of most of them.

1. The Power Steering Pump has a leak, I'll switch that over never switched over due to time frame on getting Big john to the new owner, oh well, someday I'll look into it--for now, the leak is slow and the summer too hot to spend a TON of time in the garage
2. The front bumper has rust, switching done
3. The interior is Grey but the center console and radio wrap-around are brown and the visors are losing tension. --switched over
4. The exhaust vibrates an makes a god awful rattle at 2k rpm and has a lot of surface rust, already conquered that on Big John, so that comes over. was actually too rusted and unable to get off without cutting---i'll wait on that until it starts to REALLY annoy me
5. Drivers front fender is bent in behind the wheel well, looks good on Big John, so coming over. fixed
6. Washer Fluid Reservoir is cracked, switching from Big John done
7. Taking the Passenger Grab Handle from Big john over to use on Driver Side done

Then a few things to check/fix

Tint--bubbling and cracking
Recondition the rubber pieces
Bushings
Minor surface rust under body, on one wheel and on wipers--wipers cleaned up and repainted, still need to do the minor frame rust and wheel surface rust
Vacuum lines
Driver's Seat cracks fixed
Rino-ine the floor then cover with HD rubber floor to keep it softer on my dog's feet and for when my little man starts climbing around in there.

Upgrade desires

1.5" lift (I think I might go the OME spring route, saw some for sale cheaply)
4.77 gears
33x10.50r15 BFG T/A KO
Rear Aussie Locker
CB
Rock Sliders
D-Ring Tow Shackles
Front Mounted Winch currently have my hi-lift mounted on the fron bumper
Gutter Rail Roof Rack and Bsket
Lund Windshield Visor
2 6" Offroad Lights
1 Rear-mounted work light
Manual Front Hubs
HD Tie Rods/or Tie Rod Shields
Poly Sway Bar Bushings

That's it really. I just want a fun truck to take to some of the light to medium trails out here and go camping/Home Depot runs.

I know we love pictures here, so I'll take some more over the week

I'll be using this as my build thread...though compared to some of the amazing stuff on here it might be white noise :lol:

-Brian
edited to update current info and build progress.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
FTroop said:
Okay 2 questions I somehow failed to ask when checking out the trooper...

1. What the hell is this black box on top of the intake? I'm afraid it's one of those "fuel saver chips"
thats the ignitor, its one of those mods you want to do right away...theyre usually located underneath the intake manifold (where a lot of heat is concentrated) and over time it just kills them so people just move them to cooler places

2. What is this hose I'm holding under the passenger footwell?
thats a vacum line it goes to some valves the valves activate the little trap door and it takes in the air from the cabin istead of the outside (not sure on that one but thats what i came up with when i took my 89 appart

That's it so far. I'll be using this as my build thread...though compared to some of the amazing stuff on here it might be white noise :lol:

-Brian
very nice trooper by theway

Reactions: FTroop

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info! Just came back from the garage and that makes sense about the ignitor. I should have spent some more time checking this stuff before posting. It's pretty obvious from the wiring now.

As for the vacuum lines, I'll have to look at that. One of the reasons I liked this trooper was that it has working A/C that's been converted to r134. I've come to find I like that feature in 115*F Phoenix summers. I should make sure all those pieces are working properly before that time comes.

Thanks again Metal88

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
FTroop said:
Thanks for the info! Just came back from the garage and that makes sense about the ignitor. I should have spent some more time checking this stuff before posting. It's pretty obvious from the wiring now.

As for the vacuum lines, I'll have to look at that. One of the reasons I liked this trooper was that it has working A/C that's been converted to r134. I've come to find I like that feature in 115*F Phoenix summers. I should make sure all those pieces are working properly before that time comes.

Thanks again Metal88
no problem! that reminds me my 88 doesnt have its vacum thingy connected either :lol:

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Nice trooper. Looks like a good plan. Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Metal88 said:
FTroop said:
Okay 2 questions I somehow failed to ask when checking out the trooper...

1. What the hell is this black box on top of the intake? I'm afraid it's one of those "fuel saver chips"
thats the ignitor, its one of those mods you want to do right away...theyre usually located underneath the intake manifold (where a lot of heat is concentrated) and over time it just kills them so people just move them to cooler places
I put mine on top of the common chamber, as well.

Yours is the only one other than mine, that I have seen relocated to there.

I'll eventually relocate it to an even cooler spot.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Cool trooper, I think you should name him RUSTY!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
rollintroopers said:
Cool trooper, I think you should name him RUSTY!
I might do that. For a Trooper that is documented to have lived in the greater Phoenix area it's whole life, having ANY rust is impressive. just a little bit though and I contribute that to not getting properly washed and checked after offroading by the most prior owner. I had a fair amount of dirt to clean out underneath...was probably wet sand at one point.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay, not really that related to the build, but I wanted to share my new license plate.

Arizona has tons of specialty plates and this one supports the Arizona chapter of the FFA with money from the sale going to their organization.

Even more awesome is the fact that it's background is "wood-grain."

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Picture of the last time the Old Trooper and the New Trooper were out offroading together. The Old Trooper (Big John--black wheels) is currently in a running state but sitting at the new owner's house, waiting for him to actually go register it.

The New one just had an offroad adventure to the Seven Coves of Butcher Jones two weeks ago. Made it the whole way and back without issue. For those not from the Phoenix area, it's not a particularly difficult trail, but was fun and had about a dozen hill climbs that mix slick rock and dirt.

·
Premium Member
4,350 Posts
Looks good! :D
'
cheers
-Ian

1 - 12 of 12 Posts