Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the time has come to put the 93 Trooper RS up on the block. Keep in mind I bought this RS for a dedicated trail rig, and treated it accordingly. Cosmetics were largely irrelevant, but mechanics were paramount.

Pics of current condition will be available soon, although looks are not it's strong suit. So here goes:

The good:

* Strong DOHC motor, burns hardly any oil; went most recent trip to Moab (May 2011) and back (about 3000 miles) without needing to add any. I have run Mobil One in it for the last 30K miles.
* 5-speed tranny with Teralow 3.07:1 low range gears (Indy4x wants $800 for those now). I have run Mobile One in tranny and transfer case since I bought it in 2005.
* A somewhat beat up Calmini rear bumper with integrated hitch receiver
* Sliders (short ones)
* OME extended length shocks
* Front sway bar disconnects (rear sway bar is removed but can go with)
* Shop manual
* Open rear diff, which is handy for installing an Aussie locker
* 95+ front suspension (longer upper control arms, lower ball joints, tie rods, and CVs).
* Aisin manual hubs
* Poly front sway bar bushings, new this year
* Custom exhaust with crossover pipe routed behind the transfer case (gets rid of the low point underneath), with a Dynomax Super Turbo muffler
* Timing belt and water pump were replaced at ~109K (it is at around 140K now)
* Timing belt tensioner and pulley replaced a couple of years ago, upgraded to the roller tip pusher version
* Alternator is less than two years old, lifetime warranty from Checker/O'Reilly
* I have run Mobil One in engine and tranny/t-case since I got it.
* Aftermarket Pioneer stereo
* Radiator is only a few years old, runs cool even rock crawling in hot weather
* Cool window stickers

The bad:

* Frame is rusty. IMO repair would be necessary in at least one spot in a few years. Rear crossmember is essentially gone (Calmini rear bumper serves well in its stead)
* The body has a fair amount of trail damage, trimming for wheel clearance, and a half-assed rattle-can khaki paint job
* Interior is fair at best, as a dedicated trail rig I didn't worry about appearance too much. Dash holes where various switches and CB used to be.
* Intermittent wipers work intermittently. Regular wipers work fine.
* AC doesn't work, but the works are there and could possibly could be revived.
* The windshield trim is gone, I used roofing caulk to fill the gap around the windshield instead of replacing the trim. Looks fine from a distance, seals really well.
* Comes with 4 stock aluminum wheels with mixed all-seasons, no spare.

While I think it serves best as a donor for engine/tranny,and whatever you can use, it is functional as a beater you could drive or even wheel. I would not hesitate to fly-and-drive this baby home (I am in the Minneapolis area), it just went to Moab and back in the spring.

Price is $900 to a good home. Keep in mind that the teralows alone are worth $800...and that doesn't include install.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I will tell my friend about this. He just moved to St. Paul, probably looking for a beater. Not sure if he will be as interested in it as I am, but for $900 that's a deal.

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Seriously, if you book a couple of weeks out you can get a cheap flight in here, I'll pick you up and you can drive it back for less than shipping would be. For example, when I picked up the LS I got a flight for $157 to west Texas.

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
hhhmmm, I am coming up there for Christmas. Driving with the wife, so it'd be easy tpo drive it back, hhmmmm

·
Registered
793 Posts
wow... that nice littlr trooper is for sale now!? what's the main reason you went for four door??
I want one of these RS so bad.... I wouldn't mind flying there drive it back...

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Willy, the frame rust was a primary consideration, combined with my desire to move to more of an expedition style of rig and wheeling.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Steve, how is the condition of the rear bumper?? some picture of it??

is your 95 automatic or stick???

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The bumper is, as mentioned, somewhat beat up. The passenger side wrap-around was tweaked when my old 99 was t-boned, I bent it back but there is a little wrinkle at the corner. Also, the bottom edge has taken some hits, although this is not all that noticeable unless you look from underneath. The finish has flaked off in places, I have been in the habit of rattle-canning it every spring along with the slider and such. But functionally it is solid, has the integrated hitch which really helps with departure angle.

I don't have pics yet but can get some soon. I am close to getting the RS out of the garage and ready to move, just waiting on a part or two from Jerry.

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
WillyLin said:
is your 95 automatic or stick???
The 95 is a stick.

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey, fly out and get it, and on the way back you could visit Mt. Rushmore, Devils Tower, Jackson Hole, Yellowstone, etc....make it worth the trip! :twisted:

·
Registered
606 Posts
if you bring it out to moab I will take it for the engine n trans

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, there is a chance that a buddy will be coming with me. But that is just a chance at this point, and you would have to cover the fuel cost.

·
Registered
793 Posts
how much would the fuel cost be to moab from MN?

·
Registered
606 Posts
hey willy no trying to snake it from me lol

ya how much would fuel costs be?

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's 1,270 miles to Moab from here. At 17 mpg and $3.50/gallon, that's ~$261.

·
Registered
793 Posts
ssericz said:
hey willy no trying to snake it from me lol

ya how much would fuel costs be?
nah I think I was here earlier than you, but maybe we can share it, if only thing you need is the engine and tranny..

1 - 20 of 36 Posts