Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The rear had two, one facing the rear of the pumpkin and the other one is on the bottom of the pumpkin. I hope I drain the right fluid on the front. It looks like a differential case, it's behind the oil filter and the 24mm bolt is facing front of the pumpkin. I checked alldata and the Isuzu FSM and i'm only finding one plug with a 58ft. lb torque specification like for the rear drain/fill plugs. I placed my Mityvac fluid extractor after letting it drain naturally. The book calls for about 1.48 quarts, but I don't think I saw even a quart drain out. Btw I even back up my truck into the driveway so that the front differential fluid would have a better chance to drain out. Please advise as soon as you can. Thanks

Btw do you think I would destroy the front differential if I drained it and plug it then drove it around back into the driveway forward since my driveway has a slope. I am afraid if I fill the gear lube with my truck on a slope facing down that I wouldn't have enough gear fluid. I don't want to assume that because I have a manual locking hub that my front differential wouldn't be moving since it's set to "free". I think I might just jack up my front instead, the slope ain't that bad but I think it's enough to keep me from putting the right amount of gear oil.

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
The Isuzu 10-bolt drain is disguised, it is the bolt at about 5 O'clock on the rearward side of the diff.

Reactions: boomer76

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Looks like one large at the chunk and one small at the end of the axle housing driver side. Plug this number 9-09662-005-0 in the upper left part number window and look at the pic. Look at the 2 items marked 48. What is strange is item 84. It's named oil filler gasket and it goes with the smaller 48. Go here: http://www.myisuzuparts.com

Reactions: boomer76

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You guys are awesome! I'm surprised that the drain plug is not on the pumpkin close to the passenger side, but rather closer to the driver side after the front axle protector shield facing back at 5 o'clock.

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
That's the drain for the TINY SOTF unit only. The drain for the majority of the axle is the lowest bolt on the pumpkin holding the 3rd member in. That bolt should have a crush washer under the head too. I had to remove the bolt then use a phillips head screwdriver to puncture the silicone in the hole to allow the fluid to drain.

-Tad

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OMG..... btw do I drain the tiny sotf plug as well? Who is the 3rd member? I haven't met the 1st or the 2nd! j/k the only thing I know any words that contain a member is the cross member. But this bolt is on the pumpkin? lowest bolt? I didn't see anything at the bottom, just round, maybe I need to at the back of the pumpkin more carefully? but the drain plug is on the pumpkin not the axle.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just went under and the lowest bolt is facing back of the pumpkin. I don't know what you call it, but fill plug is in the front cover and the lowest bolt (drain plug) i'm guessing is not anywhere on the front cover but what the front cover attaches to, it's a 12mm. I'm guessing since there was some RTV in between the front cover and the 3rd member (I think alldata calls it a differential carrier) with a bunch of those 12mm bolts I would have to take the bottom bolt out and punch through the RTV with a screwdriver. I guess i'll drive it around tomorrow when it's warmer and do a drain/fill. Should I drain first then jack up the car from the driver side to drain out as much gear lube from the axle?

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
Yes, RTV can plug that drain easily, just poke something through it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
sweet! the only left on my plate is to change the transmission fluid/filter and then add my sound system before it gets any colder. btw I notice there was another pan top left of the differential, what is that? I know where the transfer case, oil pan, and the transmission pan are located but that pan got me wondering.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Btw I recently purchased a Mityvac 7201, a red pump with a pinkish tube sold at Advance or Walmart, a penzoil siphon pump, and a quart/gallon hand pump adapter. The adapter was the best use for changing gear oil, transmission fluid, and crankcase. It was the cleanest and the quickest way to dispense fluids.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts