Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 89 trooper with a 3 inch torsion bar lift. Last weekend i did some hard offloading and managed to completely destroy my CV joints. Before replacing the CV's om debating if i should lower the front diff to help my CV angle.
i just got a few questions if anyone has attempted this before
-is it worth the time and effort to do
-how hard is it really going to be
-how low can i go
-what do i need to mod other than the 2 brackets.

Thanks for your input

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
You can do it by modifying the stock brackets. I believe 1.5 is the most you can get. I will help CV angles.

It is more likely torn boots, lack of grease and water killed your CV joints. Angularity wont change any of those problems.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
1.5"-2" has been reported, for details search "diff drop brackets". If you can cut & weld steel, once you see the pix you'll understand what needs to be done.

(basically draw a rectangle around the 4 bolt holes, cut them out, slide down & weld back in, weld in filler plate, reinstall, cut scrape plate to fit new lower diff position)

~psguardian

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the input guys, im gonna give it a try?

·
Registered
458 Posts
it would be a good idea doing the diff drop, it will improve your cv angles which will put less stress on them as well as preserve your cv boots which will help keep water and dirt out. 1.25-1.5 is the amount I have heard.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
you also have to modify your crossmember 8) recon

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Yup thats why I still have not installed mine. But I did grab a spare cross member to modify at work one day.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
MM Chef said:
Joe Darlington said:
or you can just buy a set from me, PM me for details
Just ordered mine today, for my 91 Troop, along with a new cross-member.
Thanks Joe!
how much does a drop crossmember cost 8) recon

·
Registered
199 Posts
Bumpity Bump wondering how much?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Finally finished my diff drop.
wasn't alot of fun. Broke alot of tools and bolts. Definitely not a weekend job.

·
Registered
98 Posts
how much did you drop it? 1.5"? Can you get pics of your cv angles?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I would like to see the pics too, I plan on doing my own drop brackets on my first gen when I get it soon. Glad you got it done, how does it ride now? Peace

Pete

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
rides great, i just had it on a 6 day off-road trip on Vancouver island. totally worth it, don't forget to modify the cross member that runs under it. i just welded some flat bar to it. My cv's sit almost straight when the truck is sitting flat and level.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yes i dropped it 1.5" and the cross member 1"

·
Registered
98 Posts
You took a road trip to Vancouver Island? Shoulda hit Powell River, thats where I am. Gonna be doing the diff drop soon

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Never been to the island offroading. Is there lot of places with easy access? Around here there is Stave, Vedder Mtn and Eagle Ridge. Can't think of many others

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
island is the best, there are awesome trails as far as the eye can see. Ive done stave lake a few times.
How do you guys find your truck runs on 33"s? Im thinking about upgrading.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts