Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The back story:
My buddies wheel all the time & nagged at my deep seeded urges to join them, so I started the hunt for a rig. I was going to head the 'normal path' i.e. Jeep or Yota, something with a 6cyl that could be my DD & wknd crawler. While helping a co-worker with a nasty blackberry problem we got to talking about her old driveway decorations & what she should do with them, one was a no-name 2dr junker that I hauled to the local salvage yard, the other was a white (or at least it use to be) '89 Trooper LS 4cyl/5spd with NEW 29x9.50x15's & a seized 4ze1. I jokingly said she should just give it to me, AND SHE DID :!: :!: :!: (as repayment for the help with her yard) Now I have a full blown project on my hands. I am mechanically inclined & learn fast in that field but I have never taken on anything like this! I told my wheelin' buddies about my find & they said it was a good deal, both in the price & the base line rig itself as a wheeler. My heart instantly soared & my mind drew images of SAS & 8-10" of mixed susp/body lifts & huge 36"+ tires & ARBs front/rear... Then reality slowly crept in around the edges & I pulled back on the reins a bit. I have now put together a realistic build list for a 1st Gen Trooper & will chronicle the plans & progress here.

The Patient:

First things first, I need a running engine. The water pump fell off (sloppy mechanic @ a local shop) causing a massive overheat, he 'fixed it' by over tightening the pump back on. The bolt snapped & the pump fell off again, only this time to the demise of the motor. CraigsList to the rescue! Donor motor 170k on a +.020 bored rebuild, running but in need of a fresh rebuild = $100 SOLD!!!!

The Donor Heart:

The Build List:
This is in no real order & I am asking all the readers (lurkers included) to please drop your $0.02 worth on what order these should be done in after I have it running. TIA guys/gals

• 01. Plate Steele Bumpers w/D Rings front/rear, front which & receivers front/rear
    02. HD Torsion Bars
    03. HD Tie Rods
    04. 3" Suspension lift + 1" body lift
    05. Braided Brake Lines
    06. 1.5" Diff Drop Brackets
    07. 33x10.50x15's
    08. Lockers front/rear
    09. Deeper gears in diffs (stock w/4.56:1 I believe)
    10. Deeper gears in T-case
    11. GRB or 2nd T-case
    12. Sway Bar Disconnects
    13. Manual Locking Hubs

At this point the donor has been stripped COMPLETELY(which I found to be a very fun experience). I have taken the block, crank, pistons/rods to a local machine shop @ the referral of a friend. The shop menu consists of hot tank, magna flux & mic'ing everything to see what boring/grinding may need to be done.

Stay Tunes Folks This Ones Gonna be EPIC!

Sub Projects:
From Ghost White to White Steed - Engine

~psguardian

EDIT: had to change the name of the thread, couldn't find mine with all the other resurrection posts lol

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
04. 3" Suspension lift + 1" body lift

i would hold off on this. this is a very capable truck at stock hight, then if you think you need it, go for it. but i would really give it a try as it is.

.02 your welcome.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shop guy called earlier today with the results... not fantastic news but workable. The block is strait & sound (no cracks or crank journal warping), it needs to be decked, cylinders need to be bored out to +0.040" (prev rebuild had pushed em from STD -> +0.020"), all main bearing & rod bearing surfaces on the crank need to be ground to +0.010", & both ends need to be re-sleeved... so this is its last incarnation, better do it right & be good to it :wink: . Now to get a master rebuild kit & get the pistons down to the machine shop for bore matching...

~psguardian

·
Registered
429 Posts
welcome. sounds like this is going to be fun cant wait to see more.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So the shop guys want my pistons before they bore my cylinders, says they need to make sure all pistons are ROUND & same measure, then they will bore cyl walls to match. That makes sense & I didn't even think of it so I'm glad they know what they are doing.

I got a 'master rebuild kit' on ebay for $195 shipped, it comes with these:
  • Cast Piston Set (.040)
    Chrome Piston Ring Set (.040)
    Premium Rod Bearing Set (.010)
    Premium Main Bearing Set (.010)
    Thrust Washer Set
    Freeze Plug Kit
    Full Gasket Set
I know the oil & water pumps should be replaced, are their high volume/high pressure substitutes? if so are they a good idea for crawling & does anyone here have one/them?

What else am I going to need for my 4ZE1 rebuild?

TIA,
~psguardian

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
As far as the 33x10.50x15's go, no lift at all is needed. I'd just add longer shackles & crank the torsion bars to match. If you still drag over rocks or need more lift. Add a leaf to the rear, do a ball joint flip up front, crank the torsion bars a little more :)

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
maxwell417 said:
As far as the 33x10.50x15's go, no lift at all is needed. I'd just add longer shackles & crank the torsion bars to match. If you still drag over rocks or need more lift. Add a leaf to the rear, do a ball joint flip up front, crank the torsion bars a little more :)
Really? I can cram 4" (2" top side) more tire under there without lifting it? Will it rub @ full stuff?

~psguardian

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
33x10.50r-15 s Yup, as long as your rear bumpstops are still there. The rubber rotted off my bumpstops.

^ One of my oops ^

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
maxwell417 said:
33x10.50r-15 s Yup, as long as your rear bumpstops are still there. The rubber rotted off my bumpstops.....
Great! that means I can get tires after I wear these 29s out & not have to worry about all the suspension hacking, should the rear shocks be remounted as more of a /--\ under there or leave em |--| ? & what seems to be the best length travel for 1st Gen Troopers?

(note: the guys I'm going to be crawling with have Jeeps & SAS'd Toys with 35"+ tires & I don't want to get left behind due to clearance or 'not flexy enough' issues lol)

~psguardian

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
the body looks like its gona have alot of work...may be its the picture

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Metal88 said:
the body looks like its gona have alot of work...may be its the picture
Its the pic, this was taken just after dusk when we were loading her up onto a flatbed car hauler. The spots that look like ruffed up body panels is really just algae & dirt, she spent 2yrs parked on the side of the house under trees in very wet area (creek in the backyard so ambient moisture is high constantly). I have to pull the head & dive into which head is better candidate for rebuild (the orig or the donor motor), I will wash & get daylight pics then so we can all see how purrrdy she really is lol.

~psguardian

·
Registered
26 Posts
Looking to do the same thing soon... If you dont mind, pm me what you spend with the machine shop. I'm trying to budget for a rebuild myself...Thanks

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
well, let's see here. are we talkin about the 2.6L? Any larger size tire than about 31"x10.5" and we're talkin' about serious power robbing. But I take it that this really more of a toy? If you don't have to drive very far to get to the wheelin' spot and this will be far from a DD, then go for the 33's. other than that, i'd say you've got a pretty solid list there. although if you are going to be doing the kind of wheeling that requires all of that stuff, i might consider skid plates or rock sliders or both too. my suggestion, focus on getting it running nice, put some nice shoes on it and take it down some trails. like others have said, you'll probably be pretty pleased with it in stock form. the trooper can and does live up to its name. you should then have a better idea about what is priority and what needs to be done first.

(also.. this is going to be an interesting thread I think. both the subject matter and the writing style have been entertaining so far) good luck

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
stusvend said:
well, let's see here. are we talkin about the 2.6L? Any larger size tire than about 31"x10.5" and we're talkin' about serious power robbing. But I take it that this really more of a toy? If you don't have to drive very far to get to the wheelin' spot and this will be far from a DD, then go for the 33's. other than that, i'd say you've got a pretty solid list there. although if you are going to be doing the kind of wheeling that requires all of that stuff, i might consider skid plates or rock sliders or both too. my suggestion, focus on getting it running nice, put some nice shoes on it and take it down some trails. like others have said, you'll probably be pretty pleased with it in stock form. the trooper can and does live up to its name. you should then have a better idea about what is priority and what needs to be done first.

(also.. this is going to be an interesting thread I think. both the subject matter and the writing style have been entertaining so far) good luck
It will unfortunately be a DD/wknd crawler, wifey gets the current DD when this one is up 'n' running. While it is the 2.6 I4 multi-port injected heart yes, and I know 33's are going to give that 'gutless feel' on my 4.56:1s but wouldn't they feel spunky again on 5.38:1s?
Indeed I have left off the sliders, thought about it, liked it, lost in the wind when it came time to type up the list lol. ADD : Boulder Bars / Rock Sliders!
(keep in mind this is an end game list & will likely have a spot or two where I 'grow into it', like getting a set of 31's before the 33's, I was hoping to keep that part out of print :oops: but eh what can I do lol)

I hope the writing style is a compliment & not a deranged form of entertainment :wink:. Either way, I like to envelop those around me in whatever I'm doing, & when ya'll are spread 'cross the globe, story time is how I will do it 8)

~psguardian

·
Registered
126 Posts
You know, you may just decide you like the 31s - lots of folks here do. I've got 33x12.5x17s stuffed under my truck with the stock suspension. I've not taken it wheeling yet, but they fit just fine with no rub at full lock (at least that I can see, will know for sure when I can flex it out). This is with about 1" of lift in the front from cranking the torsion bars, and 0" lift in the back.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Robnhatch said:
Looking to do the same thing soon... If you dont mind, pm me what you spend with the machine shop. I'm trying to budget for a rebuild myself...Thanks
Don't worry Robnhatch there will be a 4ze1 build thread & I will post cross links :D I will have this as the main project & each sub project will be splintered off in its own thread to maintain focus (also cuz I'm a poor soul so it'll be spaced out by $$ per project).

Chooie said:
You know, you may just decide you like the 31s - lots of folks here do. I've got 33x12.5x17s stuffed under my truck with the stock suspension. I've not taken it wheeling yet, but they fit just fine with no rub at full lock (at least that I can see, will know for sure when I can flex it out)......
I might at that Chooie, you will have to post some flex pics so we can see what 33x12.50s look like at full flex, & so I can gauge the possibility of stopping at 31x10.50 or going to 33x10.50 (I like the skinnier option for better mpg's since this will be my DD during the work week & she won't be a trailer queen on trail day so the trip there will hurt a little less :wink: )

I am stoked about my incoming rebuild kit, should be here Thurs or Fri, then off the the machine shop to drop the bits -n- pieces they need.

~psguardian

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok so I have decided to try & leave this thread open to pretty much anything that fits into the rebuild/build-up & make a 'splinter thread' for all the more in-depth/focused projects. This will make each sub-project more accessible for those searching in the other forum categories. The motor will be covered @ From Ghost White to White Steed - Engine. In this thread I'm looking for any tips/tricks/mods to get more torque outta this 4ZE1, high flow water/oil pump info, alternate CAM, timing settings, anything about the engine so head over there & drop me a line please :D

(I'm also going to post all the splinter threads in the OP for ease of browsing later on)

~psguardian

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Updates !!! Yay finally got a change to get her CLEAN (other then some sap & pitch stuck to the paint & some surface rust (to be eliminated).

____________________________________________ Dirty Dirty Dirty ____________________________________________

____________________ Half Clean ____________________________________________ All Clean ____________________

Unfortunately these are the best my 3mp Camera phone can do (+ Picasa cleaned them up a good bit 8) )

Should have the short block back on the stand by Friday... Maybe Monday (my machinist @ Central Cylinder Head in Portland, Or is wicked busy :) ) Its all good though cuz now I can really focus on my Head build.

~psguardian

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.