Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my truck, the owner told me it needed freon. I know that means it's leaking somewhere, but I thought I'd put a can in and see how long it lasted.

Here's what I did:
1. I ran a 12v wire to the compressor to rule out wiring/relay issues.
2. I cranked the truck
3. I touched the 12v wire to the battery. The clutch engaged nicely and the compressor didn't make any funny sounds.
4. I quickly began to add the freon.
5. My gauge is busted, but the can got cold so I figured it was taking the freon.
6. Hand to the vents...no cold air.
7. I said "oh well" and removed the freon hose.
8. Motor still running, I pulled the hose off and freon and lubricant started spewing everywhere!

Any ideas? Thanx!

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
First, was the system just low or was it empty? If it was empty it probably has air in it and needs to have a vacuum pulled on it before charging. Otherwise it will never work right and the moisture in the air will form acid which will kill the system.

As far as the valve is concerned, you just have a bad schrader valve core. They are easy to replace on an empty system, just like the core in your tire valve stems. You can get replacement kits from any local parts store.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
I would try tightening the schraeder valve, first.

As Gizmo points out, just like the valve in your tires.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick responses, fellas! Yeah, I have no idea if it was empty or just low. The previous owner said it had been used winters only at his deer camp, so he didn't know much either. I TOTALLY forgot that they need vacuum to charge. Well I've never personally done it, but my home AC man explained it to me before.

So, I should install a new schrader valve, and then get a shop to pull a vacuum and try it again?

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
CREEPER said:
Thanks for the quick responses, fellas! Yeah, I have no idea if it was empty or just low. The previous owner said it had been used winters only at his deer camp, so he didn't know much either. I TOTALLY forgot that they need vacuum to charge. Well I've never personally done it, but my home AC man explained it to me before.

So, I should install a new schrader valve, and then get a shop to pull a vacuum and try it again?
Yes.

·
Registered
347 Posts
If you already know how to hotwire it and add refrigerant it would be a LOT cheaper to do it yourself. You run the risk of them telling you it has a leak and wanting to fix it.. yadda yadda.

You can get a vacuum pump for $200 at autozone. You get every bit of that back (Including taxes) when you return it. Trust me, it's cheaper to do it yourself..

The a/c shop I asked about wanted to flush everything before they would pull a vacuum.. Ya.. That would be hours and hours of labor.. No thank you!

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nathan, you made a great point! The AC mafia ALWAYS wanna make money doing stuff that DOESN'T need to be done! That's a great idea. But do I ask for a "vacuum pump"? Is that what it goes by?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts