Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the story of "theBeater". I had spotted it on craigslist 2 day before Christmas. I think I had passed it over the day before and something told me to check it out. It wasn't something I would have normally looked at price was a little high at $1500. One of the first things I noticed was it said fairly new 285 tires with about 85% tread. The next thing I read was a shocker, includes but not in the picture a fully built steel bumper worth $800 (no name listed). Last and not least it was only like 30 miles away :D . So I made the call 2 days before Christmas, talked to the guy asked a few things, but the important question was about the bumper. He said oh yeah, well it's not mounted right now (no prob), it's an ARB (sweet). I make arrangements to check it out the day after Christmas. So the morning arrives, it's raining....no pouring, just swell. I go into work (my shop) and install 2 new tires on my 16' trailer that I use to haul Isuzu's around on and of course I bust open my middle finger, great start. I head over to his house (Sam was his name) and make it there just after 10:00. Still pouring I check it out to some degree. He had to jump it (said it had been sitting since he got a newer vehicle), I realized the intake tube was cracked from the weight of having a cone filter installed with no support and it's a SOHC vs the stated DOHC. All of these things are small things, the important things I'm worried about are great ARB Bull Bar with winch mount, and Bridgestone AT tires in great shape. One more added bonus was it included a high lift jack. I offer him $1200 and we end up agreeing on $1300, clean title included mind you. I'm thinking ARB + Tires + Parts + Scrap = good deal. So I drive her up onto the trailer, strap her down and head back home, smiling the whole way :D . Well I get to check her out a little the following AM and realize there's really nothing major wrong with this thing. This would make a good daily driver and maybe tow vehicle, being as it's the 5 speed. As of right now, I'm not 100% sure how I'm going to use this. I do know this much, I will get it in 100% working order and will decide what to do with it at that point. The ARB and tires are going to be used on my 95 Limited (build thread here http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=66472). I've already hunted down the parts I'll need to fix the air filter situation, thanks to "Jerry" for the hookup there. I'll be sure to post some updates as things progress. Here are a few pictures as I'm sure you're tired of reading by now :lol:

Pulling out of the guys driveway, he was out in the boonies LOL, but so am I for that matter.

Back at the shop, the paint looks decent only because of the rain, a lot of clear coat is missing :|

I like how the lights look behind the grille, If I end up keeping this for myself I'll make some real brackets to mount the lights like this. Not crazy about the zip ties holding them in place.

The tires are in good shape (I say 80-90% left for sure), size 285-75-16, just wish they were a more aggressive tire. For those that say these tires fit with no lift, they do, but he warned that they scrub during full turn sometimes....just for the record.

The ARB bull bar already sitting in front of it's new home :D

Charging the battery after checking all the fluids. Still need to give it a through evaluation though, probably after the New Years.

I've added a link to keep track of fuel mileage in "theBeater"

·
Registered
606 Posts
SOMEONE STOLE MY TRUCK!!! lol

Man thats a clean trooper!!!

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ssericz said:
SOMEONE STOLE MY TRUCK!!! lol

Man thats a clean trooper!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: after they stripped all the good stuff off. Thanks, but it's not as clean looking once it dried off, although I haven't washed it yet.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
someone wanted me to get some interior shots so I figured I'd put them up here as well.

The front seats had these covers.....I was scared what I'd find underneath

Not bad, only one hole and tear in the driver seat, the fabric looks surprisingly good

pic of the cargo area, carpet is pretty dingy it's been used to carry stuff obvisously

he added a factory tray to the rear door, pretty cool

I was scare to fold down the back seat and look, but like the front seats was surprised :D

I tried on the spare from my '98 until I realized how bad the other wheels were.....bad. Pretty sure I'm going to install the wheels and tires off my '95 they're pretty clean and the tires are practically new. You can see the clear coat missing on the hood. I still have yet to wash this ride, need to get on that.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Maybe you and I should be talking about transmissions.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kozak said:
Maybe you and I should be talking about transmissions.
:lol: at one time the thought crossed my mind to put the trans out of this into my '95 project. Just can't bring myself to do it since there's nothing wrong with it. I've got someone interested in it right now (whole trooper) so I may end up parting ways with it, not like I don't have enough Troopers :shock:

·
Registered
305 Posts
No problem, I'll keep my eyes on it just in case.

Does look good though. It could make someone a nice machine.

·
Registered
256 Posts
shaggydoink said:
I must admit I'm happy to hear that this Trooper will see a little more road (or offroad) in its day, it's pretty rad! :thumbup:

Jonathan
Absolutely. This (if it all works out, and I have no reason to think it wouldn't) will be my first Trooper

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ryan, those Land Rovers looked awesome. I sent you a pm about the bumpers going on this one. I'll give you a call tomorrow so we can discuss a few things.

·
Registered
256 Posts
foytiX said:
Ryan, those Land Rovers looked awesome. I sent you a pm about the bumpers going on this one. I'll give you a call tomorrow so we can discuss a few things.
Sounds good. Realized I was sort of threadjacking so I took the pictures down, but yeah they were a lot of fun :twisted:

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
Storz said:
Sounds good. Realized I was sort of threadjacking so I took the pictures down, but yeah they were a lot of fun :twisted:
Wait, I missed cool Rover pictures? Do me a favor Storz... find one of my threads and hijack it, I wanna see 'em! :mrgreen:

Good luck guys!

Jonathan

·
Registered
256 Posts
shaggydoink said:
Storz said:
Wait, I missed cool Rover pictures? Do me a favor Storz... find one of my threads and hijack it, I wanna see 'em! :mrgreen:

Good luck guys!

Jonathan
Here ya go :D

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=67582

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Started on the rear bumper yesterday afternoon (this is off the '95 going on the '94)

You can barely see it on the right side of the bumper (left side of the pic) but there is the remnants of an OLD grateful dead bumper sticker. It weathered and fused itself to the paint. That was a bee-otch to get off. That thing had to have been on there since new :shock:

After cleaning, roughing up the finish, and cleaning again. I started to lay a coat down, my goal was to get one coat on and the put a few more on this AM (can said re-coat before 24 hr). Needless to say, there wasn't as much paint left in the can as I anticipated :evil:

1 - 20 of 134 Posts