Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 96 trooper 4x4 and there is a light o n the dash that is supposed to signify the t case in engaged. The problem is I have it in two wheel drive and the light is still on. Does anyone know of this being a problem, if so how to fix. Also if it is just a stuck light and no big deal please inform me. By the way this is my first post.

·
Registered
214 Posts
To discover if 4wd is actually engaged I suggest jacking up the front and with the truck in gear and seeing if you can turn the front wheels by hand. If not then 4wd is engaged.

Another method would be to drive it onto some grass, dirt, mud and have someone spot you while you spin the tires.

If it is stuck in 4wd I believe this is controlled by a vacuum motor on the front axle. Cleaning this unit and its connections up might help as it my be clogged or fouled in some way. Could even be as simple as a dislodged vac hose.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
The switch for this light is on the passenger side of the T-case. It had two wires coming out of a large nut. If your light is on and you are not in 4wd then you may need to replace this switch.

Joe

·
Premium Member
3,580 Posts
Here's one more thing to check:
Are your Battery and Emergency Brake 'idiot lights' glowing slightly / dimly as well?

If so, then you might be seeing the first warning signs of a failing alternator.
I don't know for sure if this applies to the Troopers, but on a Rodeo, that's what I'd be checking first.

HTH! :wink:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.