Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently acquired a couple Subarus, so I've been trying to get some info and feedback on a subaru forum. It's not like here. This is a good place.

The people haven't been mean yet (well, a couple were a little snooty about Isuzus when I first got on), but responses are slow and the site is plagued with database errors.

Maybe I should start an Old Subaru thread here, you guys might be more useful.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Red0ktober said:
I've recently acquired a couple Subarus, so I've been trying to get some info and feedback on a subaru forum. It's not like here. This is a good place.

The people haven't been mean yet (well, a couple were a little snooty about Isuzus when I first got on), but responses are slow and the site is plagued with database errors.

Maybe I should start an Old Subaru thread here, you guys might be more useful.
Give it a try.

Under "Other vehicles".

:D :D

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
I've experienced less friendly forums before. I dabble in the old VWs and most of those forums are "put it back to stock" "the germans are smarter than you" "they engineered it to be that way". Its almost impossible to get some advice for thinking outside the box. Thats why I love this place so much. I mean I have an isuzu, but I rarely ask questions about it. I just love the 'zoo community!

·
Registered
336 Posts
2.5rs is a decent forum, NASIOC is a bit of a crap shoot...can be good or bad, and then legacycentral is pretty good for most older Subies. But I'm also a Subaru lover...soooo...you can start something here and I'll do my best to help...lol

Been kinda busy as of late though...lol

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
my local trailrider forum hates me because I am not a paid member. :roll:

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have an '81 Subaru GL Wagon and '83 Turbo Wagon. Old stuff. I don't think I'll ever get a newer Subaru, even though they are hands down the most popular car where I live.

I didn't really have a choice about getting the GL (I'm going to give it to a friend as soon as I fix a thing or two). The Turbo was kind of a stupid impulsive thing. It'll be neat if I can get it running though (blown head gasket).

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
A lot of other 4x4 forums in particular seem to have a lot more flaming and guys trying to out macho each other than this one. I like the info and organization I get for my cruiser on ih8mud.com but the attitude is much more relaxed around here. On the FJ40 forums they seem to jump on anyone who ever asks a question that has been asked before so I tend to lurk a lot more. It's like, "So you have time to jump on anybody's case about the search function but you can't just answer the question politely and then reference the search feature?" Obviously they are hanging out on there anyway with nothing better to do. I don't know. The internet seems to have a knack for turning people who might otherwise be absolutely wonderful into dicks sometimes. :roll:

Anyways, yeah this forum rocks. I love it. It's got the best sense of community I've ever seen.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
N law said:
I've experienced less friendly forums before. I dabble in the old VWs and most of those forums are "put it back to stock" "the germans are smarter than you" "they engineered it to be that way". Its almost impossible to get some advice for thinking outside the box. Thats why I love this place so much. I mean I have an isuzu, but I rarely ask questions about it. I just love the 'zoo community!
That's odd because back in the 80's when air-cooled VW's were big time popular, it was all about thinking outside the box. I still have all my Hot VW's and VW Trends mags from back then. They contained everything from radical mods to bone stock restorations.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
In some other forums I visit. Most people dont know crap or dont work on their own vehicles. The answer is always, take it to a certified mechanic. :shock:

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Dae said:
In some other forums I visit. Most people dont know crap or dont work on their own vehicles. The answer is always, take it to a certified mechanic. :shock:
I recall talking to my dad about "taking the info you get off a forum in context to the forum" when he was trying to get advice on his '03 carrera4. I told him that some forums would walk you through doing it yourself, others were more like Mercedes owners bitching about what to use to get the swirls out of their paint.

Funny thing was that when I was looking for new wheels for my VW bus, I was looking for 5X112mm wheels and Mercedes uses the same wheels (different wheel studs, but same pattern). I came across a thread on a Mercedes site where the guy was complaining about trying to get the automatic car wash swirl scratches out of his black paint! I almost fell out of my chair!

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Dae said:
I can't imagine I'd spend much time around a place like that. I mean, why even bother?

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I haven't been on many car forums, but I've been fairly impressed with this forum and 60degreev6. I've been helped a ton on both.

I used to moderate on a large macintosh user forum about a decade ago and I've run smaller boards, so I have a feel for the challenges.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
One-sided flame war started in my cylinder head thread over on the Subaru forum. :roll:

What an ***...

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's been closed and edited. First time I've ever flagged a post on any forum that I recall.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
One of the many reasons why I lOVE this comunity here is because we all here hardly EVER get into a "pissing contest" about anything!
Want to restore your 1st Gen Trooper to stock? Great!
Want to take your 1st Gen Trooper up in the air with a SAS, 37" tires and a LS1 v-8? Great!
Does not matter eather way, there is allways support with whatever you want to do here!
Sure, some may cringe a little at someone hacking up a Rodeo into an off road only buggy, but you dont get flamed over it just because your idea of the perfect truck (for the moment) is not the same as theirs.

I have found ALMOST the same kind of forum community for my old Mercedes over at peachparts.com in their shop forum.

This has to be THE most freindly internet community in existance! :D

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
COYOTE102076 said:
This has to be THE most freindly internet community in existance! :D
Agreed

·
Registered
3,933 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
I concur.
how old of Subaru are we talking about, by the way? have you tried japanesenostalgiccar.com?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts