Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a 2002 Trooper limited Black and Silver. Over the past year the warranty company has put a new remanufactured engine in it which has less than 10k miles on the engine. Also, warranty company put a complete new AC in (So all the equipment and Freon new as of this summer). I'm going to put it on cars.com next weekend so you can see photos as I will post a bunch. 91k miles. Tires are 50% plus. I have all the records. It's in very good condition and everything works with the exception of the CD player. Driver's seat needs new leather on the part where you slide in and out. It has the high end limited package with all the cool stuff. I was not planning on selling it till recently and a month ago I paid to have it detailed inside and out. High end detail with all carpet cleaned and buff outside etc. Guys made comment that it was supper sharp. It's going to be a great vehicle for someone. 4x4 works great. This is my 3rd Isuzu and it's time to move. KBB.com prices it at 9,353 for Excellent - 9,028 for Very Good - 8,853 for Good. With all the new parts on the AC and new engine make me an offer.

·
Registered
5,475 Posts
Can I ask why it needed a new engine at such low mileage?

Post up some pics, and also make a reference to how often the transmission fluid's been changed, this is a super big item on these automatic 4L30.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sure. It was using over a QT of oil in 1000 miles. Ran great but used oil. Warranty company paid everything but 100.00 to put engine in so I thought why not. Engine came from C&K. Engine was installed by Biggers Isuzu / Chevy in Elgin Il. http://www.biggerschevy.com/index.htm Service guy was Jamie and he was very helpful.
I originally bought it with 32k miles on it from a dealership in Las Vegas. It has been driven like a car for the most part seeing some snow in this area the past 2 winters. We moved here from AZ Dec 08. I have had the transmission fluid checked and all fluid levels (gear box etc) checked and was told all was very clean (This year). So unless the fluid was changed by the dealership in 07 it is the original fluid. And the undercarriage was almost perfect until we moved here. It has only seen salt on roads for 2 winters so looks good.
It should be worth more than the excellent price with the new engine and AC but it needs the CD player fix, Leather part of driver's seat where you slide in and out, has two small door dings on the passenger driver's side, and inside is very clean overall. Engine detailed every year.
I'm planning on posting photos next weekend. I not sure how to post photo's here but will post some if I can figure it out fast. I have some other things I have to get done this weekend then work all week that's why I'm looking to post photos next weekend. Feel free to ask any other questions. I thought posting it for sale on this site before I put it in the auto trader or cars.com might be a good idea because someone would appreciate it more.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
shouldn't this be in the "classified" section?
good luck anyway

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not up to date on how to post it. I will look for the Classified section. Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Go to the link above for the correct classified section and thanks for the heads up!

·
Registered
5,475 Posts
I am.....was interested, looks like a clean truck.

I have to say though, what concerns me is your saying the transmission fluid is probably original, meaning that the fluid is 9yrs old....which is VERY concerning.

The transmission fluid in these trucks (although the warranty manual tells you differently) should be changed at least once a year or every 25k miles at most. ATF fluid that's 9yrs old, even if it looks clean (which I find that hard to believe), is way past it's lubricating properties and worn out.

Were you in the bay when the dealer checked the ATF condition?

It does look like a very nice truck, with low mileage, but the lack of frequent ATF changes do scare me.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No worries - Glad to help... I would like to see it find a good home with someone who will appreciate it and keep it in good shape. When you see the photos it will show you how clean it is... It is the sharpest Trooper I have ever seen.

I would be glad to go have a service done. Only reason I have not is because was told it was fine. I did go under when they were checking it all. The guy told me the warranty did not call for a service but it was up to me (that was this past summer). It shifts fine and I would be glad to take it to a mechanic to check out. I would also be fine with paying for the Trans service and just have it done especially with what you are saying. I think it is around 175.00 which include some special additive stuff.

What concerns me is that today I went to start it and it acted like the battery was dead. So I tried it a couple of times and then started fine. I'm going to call the folks who installed the new engine and ask them. The battery was bought in 09 so I would think it should be fine. It is a sears battery. I will also look around on this site to see if that is a wire or something simple. I will communicate in a very open way. It will help the Trooper to end up in the right hands.

Back on the transmission service I think I will go ahead and get that done. Again thanks for brining that to my attention.

·
Registered
5,475 Posts
Most of us here are just very particulate about the 4L30 cause they can seem to get fussy.

If you have the transmission serviced, make sure they do NOT flush the transmission, they need drop the pan, change the filter and just refill with clean ATF....do NOT let them add any kind of additives, that stuff's not needed in an otherwise perfectly working transmission.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
trooper_march02 said:
No worries - Glad to help... I would like to see it find a good home with someone who will appreciate it and keep it in good shape. When you see the photos it will show you how clean it is... It is the sharpest Trooper I have ever seen.

I would be glad to go have a service done. Only reason I have not is because was told it was fine. I did go under when they were checking it all. The guy told me the warranty did not call for a service but it was up to me (that was this past summer). It shifts fine and I would be glad to take it to a mechanic to check out. I would also be fine with paying for the Trans service and just have it done especially with what you are saying. I think it is around 175.00 which include some special additive stuff.

What concerns me is that today I went to start it and it acted like the battery was dead. So I tried it a couple of times and then started fine. I'm going to call the folks who installed the new engine and ask them. The battery was bought in 09 so I would think it should be fine. It is a sears battery. I will also look around on this site to see if that is a wire or something simple. I will communicate in a very open way. It will help the Trooper to end up in the right hands.

Back on the transmission service I think I will go ahead and get that done. Again thanks for brining that to my attention.
I must have a Herbie on my hands… the next morning after posting my trooper for sale the starter went out. So Sears put a new battery in first and then I took it to Dean's Auto Center where they installed a new starter. So several hundred dollars later we have life off. My concern as noted above has been identified and resolved.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts