Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't been here in a while. Boy has this site changed!

Never thought I'd see the day, but life gets in the way, and my cherished 1989 RS is for sale.

Bought it in 2006, and had all kinds of plans to modify this that and the other, but was counseled by The Man himself, Jerry, leave it alone, because of how nice it is. So I did. Over the years I have been meticulous with maintenance, and replaced every little part that was missing when I bought it, thanks to fellow planet members. When it started leaking at the head gasket, I replaced the head with an AMC head, based on info I read here on the planet about warping heads. Kept the original head. It's probably fine. Installed a console clock I bought from Bart. New-ish shocks all around. New windshield gasket. Have a ***t ton of spare parts, most of them new. Like a new set of driver door hinges. A new OEM radio. A set of new OEM speakers. New drivers door window regulator. Full set of factory fender flares. I have the original white grill, black door handles, and bumpers. Got the chrome bling from a pick and pull LS. Mileage is high but the engine is strong. It might have been rebuilt at some point before I got it. Not sure. Just a guess because when I did the head I found stamped numbers on the block at every cylinder, suggesting someone had been in there. The only REAL mod is a floor access panel to the fuel pump. After pulling the tank TWICE thinking I had a fuel pump problem (which I didn't) I said screw it and did some surgery. I have to toot my own horn and say I think it's a darned good job. Rain gutters are VIRGIN. Never had anything clamped to them. Paint is excellent and original. Interior is excellent and original. Back bench has been out of the car since I bought it. It's in storage and looks like new. I have had custom covers on the front seats (long black bath towels) since I bought it so the seats are in good shape. Passenger seat better than the drivers seat of course, but the wear to the drivers seat is minimal. Tires are good. On a battery tender due to the fact I rarely drive it. Comes with a cover I helped design for California Car Cover. There were no covers for the RS available until I offered to help them design one. Jerks never even thanked me or cut me a price break for my time and effort. Oh well. Has original jack under drivers seat, original booklet and accessory pamplets. I recently replaced the back sliding window locking mechanisms.

The only cons I would say are the engine leaks oil from the front and rear mains. I should have replaced them when I had the head off but I didn't. 20/20 hindsight. So, it goes through a quart every 800 to 1000 miles. I keep a drip pan under the car so it doesn't stain the ground. And the cruise control switch doesn't work. I am thinking it might be the vacuum unit. Not sure. Haven't taken the time to thoroughly check it out. I do have a working spare vacuum unit pulled from a pick and pull RS.

It IS a 32 year old vehicle so it's not perfect, but pretty darned close. Before I got it I'm certain it had never been wheeled. The guy I got it from was a city guy and was basically a poser and wanted to look cool. I've had it off road but never abused it. The undercarriage is undamaged and rust free. It's been a Northern California car it's whole life. I had planned this summer to pull the engine for a rebuild, refresh the body bushings and maybe the leaf springs, and basically go through the ol' girl, but it's not gonna happen.

I was surprised to be turned down by Bring A Trailer. No feedback from them as to why.

I have dozens of photos showing work I've done. A stack of paperwork and receipts, spare parts. I have dedicated myself to getting this RS in as original condition possible. It doesn't get driven much, but every time I drive it I'm reminded of what a great vehicle it is and recite incantations to The Planet, ESPECIALLY Jerry. As much as I love the RS, it's time to pass it on to it's next caretaker.

And now, what you've been waiting for. The price. $7000. Yep, seven grand. I can hear the howling starting, maybe even flaming me. Save it. Yeah, a lot of money. Maybe won't get it. I can always come down, or someone can make me an offer. I'm guessing that this is one of the most original and nicest RS still around in the U.S. Or not. I don't really know. But based on what I've seen, read, and learned, my RS is a pretty darned nice unmolested example.

For more info and photos, private message me please. We can exchange phone numbers and I can go into detail.

If y'all have read this far, thank you. I'm very passionate about my RS, so given to fits of rambling on about it.
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Car
Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Automotive side marker light
Wheel Automotive side marker light Automotive parking light Tire Land vehicle
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Tire Car Vehicle
Gauge Measuring instrument Auto part Font Composite material
Personal luxury car Automotive design Auto part Electric blue Family car
Vehicle Car Speedometer Motor vehicle Odometer
Vehicle Steering wheel Motor vehicle Car Automotive design
Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Car seat cover Steering part

·
Registered
84 Posts
Nice truck, surprised BaT passed on it. There are all kinds of weird allusions in their FAQs to how/why they select vehicles. I wouldn't take it personally. They don't deserve it!

From BaT:

"After choosing a service level, sellers answer questions on the submission form and upload photos so our auctions team can evaluate if it’s a good fit for our audience. "

"The auction process starts with sellers submitting their cars through the website. We select the most interesting and work with the seller to compile a thorough listing for the vehicle. Auctions typically run for 7 days."

·
Registered
1989 Trooper R/S
4,176 Posts
Posting will no longer bump this to the top, but have to post anyway. Jay, your RS is priced reasonable and could make the argument that it should be higher. Just look at most every other like SUV. Early Bronco's are 4 times as high, Dodge raiders are maybe twice as high, 4runners are way up, although they don't have a like vehicle (2-Door). People are asking your price for Chevy Tracker and Samurai's and forget Jeeps, there through the roof. I doubt there's another unmolested RS in the country that's as nice as yours. Good luck with your sale.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts