Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 11 yr old walked off the field for the first time in 6 yrs of sports last Saturday because of a headache. Turned out he got a concussion and can't remember 5 plays. Luckily, other than the short term memory loss and bad headache for several hours he is OK.

It's amazing how many kids here have had a concussion after talking to some other parents. I would guess that close to half the high school football team has had at least one, and many have had more. It makes me wonder if the helmets really are safer than they were years ago. The one my son wears is only a few years old and re-certified every other year.

I always knew that some day he would get hurt as active as he is, just didn't plan on this. Guess it scares me a little.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We know he can get hurt doing anything, hell, by the time he was 6 he had made more trips to the ER than I have at 50. I have always had the attitude that as long as you enjoy it and take the proper precautions go for it. If he gets the OK from the doctor tomorrow he will be back on the field this weekend.

I guess what scares me is that one of his good friends has an older brother that is a junior in high school this year. He had his second concussion 2 years ago and is still having serious problems. They spent yesterday in a hospital doing more tests after he bumped his head on an overhead cabinet and lost 4 hours. The second part of it is that everything I have heard and read says that once you have one it is a lot easier to have more.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts