Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 11 yr old walked off the field for the first time in 6 yrs of sports last Saturday because of a headache. Turned out he got a concussion and can't remember 5 plays. Luckily, other than the short term memory loss and bad headache for several hours he is OK.

It's amazing how many kids here have had a concussion after talking to some other parents. I would guess that close to half the high school football team has had at least one, and many have had more. It makes me wonder if the helmets really are safer than they were years ago. The one my son wears is only a few years old and re-certified every other year.

I always knew that some day he would get hurt as active as he is, just didn't plan on this. Guess it scares me a little.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
I played baseball, hockey and football for years and have had 4 or 5 concussions. I plan on playing football I think one last year next year as a senior. I expect to get at least 1 more concussion.

Concussions are scary. I don't like having them but I love playing sports. Where do I draw the line?

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
You can get hurt doing anything. I did cheerleading and got concussions, messed up joints and partially detached retina. Now my shoulder hurts from something I did years ago. I saw lots of football injuries in the process and tons of cheering injuries. The year I quit football (9th grade), one of my classmates had the helicopter come down and pick him up on the field. He was fine a few days later. There are no safe sports; there is a risk associated with everything. Its like I tell my other-other-brother in law (new dad)- "kids bounce".

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
A few years ago, I got a concussion playing kick ball. The first baseman was bigger than me, and I wanted that bag. Needless to say, I did nothing as I just felt weird, out of it, for several days. And about a decade ago, I went through a windshield, concussed and busted up, I really dont remember to much. My shoulder is fried, and I pulled glass from my head for a good year.

31 years old and 2 concussions, and hope that is all. I am pretty active, but play it as safe as I can.

Hope your son is alright.

cheers
-Ian :blackeye:

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We know he can get hurt doing anything, hell, by the time he was 6 he had made more trips to the ER than I have at 50. I have always had the attitude that as long as you enjoy it and take the proper precautions go for it. If he gets the OK from the doctor tomorrow he will be back on the field this weekend.

I guess what scares me is that one of his good friends has an older brother that is a junior in high school this year. He had his second concussion 2 years ago and is still having serious problems. They spent yesterday in a hospital doing more tests after he bumped his head on an overhead cabinet and lost 4 hours. The second part of it is that everything I have heard and read says that once you have one it is a lot easier to have more.

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
No to diminish the potential seriousness of a concussion, however, along with improved diagnostics, the threshold of classifying an individual with having experienced a concussion has been greatly lowered in my opinion.

·
Registered
676 Posts
My junior year of high school our starting quarterback got his 3rd and final concussion. Never played ball again. It was sad, but it's a risk associated with the sport.

Last year at spring break I busted my head open (I've got a hole in my head now), and I'm almost %100 certain I got a concussion, but never did anything about it. I just called my momma and told her about it.

Life is dangerous you just gotta hope and pray you and yours survive.

-Robert

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
This has been getting a lot of press here in the last couple of years. Johns Hopkins has been studying it. The new recommendations are pretty much if you get a second it's time to stop playing or you could have life long problems. A concussion is a bruised brain! It's caused by your brain crashing into the inside of your scull. The G forces can be pretty awesome. If it swells much there is no place for the swelling to go. Bad things can be the result. It's worth being scared about. I think in many ways we are just smarter about this stuff these days. MRI's and such lead to better diagnosis. And also better pictures of the damage.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Selador said:
TKEPA251 said:
(I've got a hole in my head now)

-Robert
Well, that explains a few things.

:wink: :lol: :lol:
Thanks Jeff lol.

-Robert

1 - 10 of 10 Posts