Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1999 Trooper. I am adding fog lights to the vehicle (Hella 550's) in the pre-designated cut outs. They are a little bigger than I thought so I will have to trim a little bumper out for the right fit. To the point: I tried running them through the factory harness and my buddy and I couldn't get them to work. (Turns out I think we didn't notice there wasn't a relay for it in the fuse box). We went ahead and ran our own wires and hooked everything to the switch and got the lights working. Turns out after that that I now don't have any running lights or inside dash lights. What could have happened? We used some hot wires off the factory switch plug to connect our own switch. On the dash lights I thought I had blown a fuse in the dimmer switch or something, got one from a wrecked Trooper, but no success. I guess we should start from the beginning and put things back the way I found them to get everything working right. Anyone have any other suggestions? Also, anyone know where I can find the size foglights that are supposed to go in those cutouts? Thanks.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did, but there is not a designated fuse for "illumination lighting" or "running lights" or anything close to that. I also purchased the "lights" and "corner lighting" relays from the wrecked vehicle for cheap. I changed those out and it didn't help. I am thinking that we need to connect the wires back like they were and work our way back. Anyone else have any words of wisdom? Is there a specific fuse I should be looking at because I don't see anything relating to these problem areas.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I'm thinking that your running lights should be tied in with the instument panel lighting and anything else that comes on when you put the headlight switch in the first position. I would look for all of the fuses having anything to do woth lights. They need to be pulled out and looked at carefully to determine if they're good or not. Better yet, if you have a multimeter (ohm) then use that to make sure that they are not blown. If all the fuses are good, then do just like you thought, and put the wiring back to normal and verify that everything works. If it does, then try again. If not, you have a fault, and it needs to be found. If you post back at that point, maybe something else can be determined. Troubleshooting is kind of a process.

One more thing. IIRC, there were two fuse panels in my '92 Trooper. There was one in the engine bay, and one in the lower left side of the dash behind a cover. I would get out the owner's manual and make sure I knew where both fuse panels were.

HTH

·
Registered
16 Posts
Check the instrument lights dimmer. I found out the hard way that it isn't fuse protected. It could have shorted out. To by-pass it yo need to connect one of the V+ wires to the Neg wire. The V+ wires are Grn/Red or Red/Grn and the Neg (-) is Blk. If you connect the right ones you will have by-passed the dimmer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.