Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't see an Intro Forum, and I've got a feeling even this is in the wrong place. As the title states, I bought an 87 Trooper recently, for a whopping 300 bucks. Sure, it needs work, but for 300 bucks, I wasn't complaining. Currently, the back half of the frame is rusted thru (typical problem, as I understand), broken windshield (can't find a good one at a JY anywhere around here), and needs a heater core R&R. Oh, and the Tcase shifter won't stay in 4wd - methinks the synchros are worn out, or perhaps the shift fork

214K miles, and the thing runs great, only uses oil and brake fluid (I've got NO idea where the BF is going, either). It's a cheap truck, that I've got big plans for - most has already been done, and some that hasn't.

Been done - axle swaps (probly full width), powertrain swap (I'm thinkin 302/C6/203-205 doubler), better seating, full rollcage, half doors, shock hoops, engine cage, Tcase skidplate, rock sliders and the customary F&R bumpers.

Hasn't been done - full roof removal, to make ready for a custom soft top and Jeep-style flip-down windshield (or, has it? I've never been able to prove myself wrong on this, yet)... summer's comin up, I'm wanting to get this part underway asap

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
I'm thinkin 302/C6/203-205 doubler
Check on rear driveshaft length there. The 203/205 is a pig of a doubled t-case setup and in my opinion best used in a full size truck. Yes it's extremely strong but it's also extremely heavy. I opted to go with the 203/Dana 300. The 300 is all gear driven, fairly light, extremely short, and has 4:1 Tera gears available. The 300 can stand up to some serious power output with a rear shaft swap.

I'd do some poking around and see what kind of length you are looking at with the 203/205 combo.

Good luck on your doings, you seem to be pretty adventurous. I like to see people doing things differently.

Joe

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had mentioned the 205, simply because, normally, I DO drive a fullsize - 78 Bronco - and that's what I'm normally used to talking about. But after reading your other thread, about using the 300, that made alot more sense to me, particularly since the 302 won't be built to 500hp

Like you, I still need to gather tha parts, and see just how it's all going to fit together. The 302 I can get for free (needing a rebuild, of course). The trans, and both Tcases I'll have to find tho. I've got a sick feeling that, because of the half-rusted frame, I MAY end up building my own box tube frame, which I think I would prefer anyway

So, we'll see, time and money always dictates how soon a project can get finished - or even started...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.