Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a little off-topic non-isuzu question.

My Fiance, today was driving up (92 Prelude) to her folks house in Northern WI, when one of her front wheels just popped off, going about 55! She notice the a problem moments before it came off since the steering wheel was shaking. She is okay and got the car off to the side of the road. A passer by helped her rebend the studs so the wheel would fit back on and removed one lug from each of the three wheels. The passer by noted, "All of the lugs on the wheels were finger tight!" So they got the wheel back on, the rims bolt holes were a bit messed up and she took it to a GoodYear place and they only had time to remove the oem nuts and move them back to the orginal wheels and screw on some other lugs on the problem wheel. They recommend a new rim (I found a used one already about 30 minutes away for 60 bucks) and new studs, but it would be fine to drive home (100miles).

Now here is the kicker. She took it into the Honda dealer about 200 miles ago for an oil change. She already checked the pay stub and it didn't mention anything about checking the brakes or rotating the tires.

So is it possible that since it has been very cold here in WI for the past week (-10 at night) that the alloy shrunk and the nuts were working their way loose over time? Mind you we live in a bi-level house with the garage that is under part of the house so it never gets below 32.

What do you think?
-Ryan

·
Registered
80 Posts
WOW. Glad to know she's ok. Lucky escape there. It is possible I guess but it is somewhat unlikely that it would happen. I live in a cold place too. In the below zeros for most the winter, but I haven't had any problems like that. Quite the opposite to be honest. Sheard a stud undoing them to get snow tires on. The only thing I can think of is someone messing with you for a joke that went a little sour. That blows man. I could be wrong but I would go ahead and keep an eye on them anyway from now on.

Cris

·
Registered
558 Posts
alloy rims will shrink and expand in the seasons. I know a few guys who have had this happen on thier trucks. Whith alloy wheels its good practice to check lug nut torque every month.

·
Registered
7,543 Posts
Also, Alloy wheels, when they are rotated, they have to be torqued properly and in a criss-cross pattern. Then , after 100 miles, re-torque them again. they have a tendency to loosen over time. I had a rear rim come loose on my wifes Nissan hardbody. I checked the other ims and they were all loose. Glad to hear nothing major happened to her or the car

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.