Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for recommendations if any of you have purchased a new Floor Jack of late.
Mine took a dump and I am in the market for a new one.. I'm not a Harbor Freight (China Mart) kinda guy so I'm looking for a quality jack but still taking cost into consideration.

TIA

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
I agree on the not being a China customer but unfortunately it can be difficult finding something NOT made in China, even with an age old american brand. :-(
I will say my brother bought a jack at Advanced Auto that I really like. I'm sure it is advertised as Nascar this or that and most likely made in China but for a guy that doesn't use a floor jack every day to make his living it's been a good jack. Only mention it as the feature I do like is quick lifting, maybe three pumps to get it fully raised....a nice feature.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I bought mine at Costco for $69 or$79 a couple years back... it's an Arcan that has a low lift of 3.5" to a maximum height of 21.5" with a load capacity of 3.5 tons, I think. It's very well made (not sure where) and probably the best jack for the money I found at the time. If they still have it, I'd certainly recommend it. HTH.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
reran said:
I bought mine at Costco for $69 or$79 a couple years back... it's an Arcan that has a low lift of 3.5" to a maximum height of 21.5" with a load capacity of 3.5 tons, I think. It's very well made (not sure where) and probably the best jack for the money I found at the time. If they still have it, I'd certainly recommend it. HTH.
I'll second the Costco one.

And if I had the cash, I'd BUY one too. LOL

Also good at costco is an 8000lb winch. And they have some pretty good generators for the money.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Gents I appreciate your input.. Don't have a COSTCO close by so I'll check SAMS and BJ's, maybe they will have the same one? Might just lurk on the net a bit and see if the ARCAN is sold from other stores?

Selador if ya need help choosing a GEN just shout out.. I work on these (and a 100 other things) everyday and would be glad to assist anytime..

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
I got mine at walmart for about $30. Its a 2.5 ton which is lighter then a 3 ton jack (important when you have to carry it from an apartment to parking lot). Just make sure it at least lifts up to 21". A lot of them are much lower then that and you cant really lift high enough to be of use.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I've been wanting one for years, but always put off getting one as my driveway is packed shell, not paved. Anyone have an idea of how to prevent the truck falling when the jack can't move as you lift?

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
johnnie59 said:
I've been wanting one for years, but always put off getting one as my driveway is packed shell, not paved. Anyone have an idea of how to prevent the truck falling when the jack can't move as you lift?
Look around local construction companies. And concrete companies.

Look for "form boards". They are plywood that is about an inch and a quarter thick.

This stuff is stronger than regular plywood.

Even just two form boards is probably all you'll ever need.

Cut one into pieces to place under your jackstands. Make them big enough to have at least 6 inches out, on every side of the stands.

Use one to place the jack on.

Use these for a while, and you'll get used to how to place them for best effect. (The jack will roll on the plywood. Rather than being stuck in one place. This will prevent the vehicle from falling off the jack.)

For you: Drill a couple holes in one edge of each piece, and use some small nylon rope to make handles. Toss them on the ground and just push them around where needed. Then use the ropes to pull them back out from under the vehicle when you are done.

Your jack and stands will be much better supported, and much safer on these, than on standard two-by lumber.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Im in the same boat. I had a cheap little 2 ton that I was using. It was rusting and actually broken. The little clip kept slipping off the hydraulic cylinder. Unfortunately I left it supporting the transfer case and some jerk stole it. It was a 15 dollar jack that's really only worth the price of the scrap steel it was made of but honestly that just makes me even angrier. :evil:

In any event Im in the market for a new one. They have one on sale for 100 that comes with some jack stands and a creeper,and I could use a extra set of stands. Does anyone have any experience with the sears 3 tons?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Selador AKA Tat said:
johnnie59 said:
Look around local construction companies. And concrete companies.

Look for "form boards". They are plywood that is about an inch and a quarter thick.

This stuff is stronger than regular plywood.

Even just two form boards is probably all you'll ever need.

Cut one into pieces to place under your jackstands. Make them big enough to have at least 6 inches out, on every side of the stands.

Use one to place the jack on.

Use these for a while, and you'll get used to how to place them for best effect. (The jack will roll on the plywood. Rather than being stuck in one place. This will prevent the vehicle from falling off the jack.)

For you: Drill a couple holes in one edge of each piece, and use some small nylon rope to make handles. Toss them on the ground and just push them around where needed. Then use the ropes to pull them back out from under the vehicle when you are done.

Your jack and stands will be much better supported, and much safer on these, than on standard two-by lumber.
A peice of OSB might work too. It seems denser than plywood.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
mallen said:
I wouldn't trust OSB under a jack or jackstands.

And I wouldn't trust just any plywood, either.

But concrete forms, I trust. As long as you are using the extra thick stuff.

See, concrete forms have to hold up to all that hydraulic weight, of the concrete that gets poured into them.

Use OSB or regular plywood for that, and it'll bow, or worse.

(I worked construction for most of my life. Even ran my own company for a while.)

·
Registered
555 Posts
Selador AKA Tat said:
mallen said:
I wouldn't trust OSB under a jack or jackstands.

And I wouldn't trust just any plywood, either.

But concrete forms, I trust. As long as you are using the extra thick stuff.

See, concrete forms have to hold up to all that hydraulic weight, of the concrete that gets poured into them.

Use OSB or regular plywood for that, and it'll bow, or worse.

(I worked construction for most of my life. Even ran my own company for a while.)
Regular plywood definitely wont. Its too soft. its not that it will bow. Im assuming that its going to be on a level surface,just a level surface that's not smooth. With plywood the wheels of your jack will just sink in and stick. I'm not familiar with the concrete forms so I don't know about them. OSB seems a little more dense and less likely to compress,but the best thing would be a sheet of 1/4" steel on top of a piece of wood.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.