Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2000 Rodeo, 139,000 miles, had the car about a month. Not sure of the trans maintenance history. Driving home on the interstate tonight I got the cel and a flashing trans light. Sure enough it's the p1870 code. So after searching the forum, here's my plan. 1. Take it to the parts store tomorrow and get the charging system and battery checked. 2. if that's ok, take it to a trans shop on Monday.
It seems like checking the fluid level ought to be in there somewhere but I'm not sure how to do that. I'm under the impression that it has to be a certain temperature.
So anyway, that's my plan. If anyone would like to add any advice, I'd be grateful, and I will follow up on this thread and let you know how it turns out.
Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A little more information. Turns out this was the first time that the car had been up to interstate speeds since we got it. The fastest we've driven it before was about 55mph or so. Seems like one of the other threads I looked at also mentioned getting the light at interstate speeds.

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
DTC P1870 typically means the Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) is slipping. The PCM is comparing the Torque Converter input rpm (engine) to the transmission output rpm (vehicle speed sensor (VSS)) . If the mismatch is too high for test conditions P1870 is set. The TCC is typically locked only at highway speeds in 3rd or 4th gear.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I took the car to the trans shop and had it checked out. They said the fluid level was good and the fluid looked good. Then they cleared the code and drove it about 20 miles, highway and city. The code didn't return. They scanned it again when I picked it up and it wasn't showing anything. My wife's been driving it for the last two days and still nothing.
The owner of the trans shop said that more than likely at some point it will throw a code again, or it may not. If it does and they check it again and determine that the problem is worsening, then they will recommend a rebuild. So I feel like I'm living on borrowed time.

·
Registered
23 Posts
So it's been four years since your post. If you're still around, what was the end result of your transmission woes? Did the code come back? Did it require repair?

I have a 2002 Trooper that just gave me the same code but it seems to be shifting fine. I'll clear it and hope for the best!

Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts