Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a new one on me. The check engine light will flash when I move the accelerator pedal off of fully closed/step on the gas pedal. When I remove my foot from the gas pedal like coasting down hill or sitting at a stop light the Check engine light will stop flashing and will sometimes go out.

The only code being set id a P0300 for engine misfire.

Aside from checking the spark plugs and running some Seafoam through the fuel system to try and take care of the misfire code; does any have a suggestion for the flashing check engine light?

·
Registered
11,939 Posts
A flashing CEL means the engine is misfiring. It flashes to get your attention because driving under these conditions can damage the catalytic converters. DTC P0300 is multiple cylinder misfire, problem could be ignition (plug/coils/wires) or low fuel pressure or vacuum leak or other problems that cause a lean condition.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I had this happen on a 96 trooper. I blew a plug out of the cylinder and it needed re-tapping and a new coil for that cylinder.
I would do a compression check for openers.
Jeff

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks everyone, I knew the P0300 was an engine misfire but the flashing threw me a curve ball. I'm yanking the sparkplugs tomorrow. It has been approximately 30,000 miles since I have replaced them.

I will need to check for vacuum leaks/hoses.

This is a 2001 Trooper if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Emissions system is faulty, and engine misfire is correct.

Spark plugs and wires
Vaccum Lines
EGR valve.
and knock on wood
Air Intake Manifold Gasket

·
Registered
227 Posts
I had it happen on a 97 Rodeo I owned prior. It was the intake manifold gaskets that caused it. Replacing them solved my problem.

·
Registered
102 Posts
On a scale 1-10.. how hard would it be to replace the air intake? If some gives the steps.. ill do it and post pictures

·
Registered
102 Posts
Belay my last guys.. googled it.. not something I might wanna try around 6pm night time but I have off tommorow early and all day Saturday... looks like my CEL is gonna get cleared and I can have my old gas mileage again

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think I have a handle on it and even fixed it.

Dirty fuel injectors! I ran some Seafoam through it and now the CEL is out and she runs smoother. It has been close to 10,000 mile since I used any Seafoam and evidently that is too long. I am thinking of adopting a "every other fill-up" policy regarding adding Sefoam to my fuel tank.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts