Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My e-brake lever was rusted stuck on my 92' Rodeo 3.1. I fixed that but now my brake pedal goes almost to the floor now on the first pump and on the second the brake pedal is tight like it used to be on the first pump before fixing the e-brake. So I tried adjusting the shoes, they where a little loose but that didn't fix the problem. Maybe the power booster, I've never had one go bad on me before, what are the symptoms?
I did do some welding on the exhaust and frame too. Maybe that messed something up? The reason I'm thinking is because I did some welding on my moped before and it made my brakes stick, they have shoe style brakes too. I'm going to tear them down later and inspect the cylinders.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
HEMIII said:
My e-brake lever was rusted stuck on my 92' Rodeo 3.1. I fixed that but now my brake pedal goes almost to the floor now on the first pump and on the second the brake pedal is tight like it used to be on the first pump before fixing the e-brake. So I tried adjusting the shoes, they where a little loose but that didn't fix the problem. Maybe the power booster, I've never had one go bad on me before, what are the symptoms?
I did do some welding on the exhaust and frame too. Maybe that messed something up? The reason I'm thinking is because I did some welding on my moped before and it made my brakes stick, they have shoe style brakes too. I'm going to tear them down later and inspect the cylinders.
Bleed your brakes.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah nevermind just drove it for a while and they are fine now. Just needed pumped more than a few times.
To answer my own question about a bad power booster, the pedal would be hard and you'd need both feet to stop.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Let the car idle. Pump the brakes really fast "full strokes" roughly 30 times in a few seconds lol. If the idle gets funky then your booster is bad aka internal vacuum leak. If not then check the one way valve in the booster vac line to make sure it didnt fail.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have noticed when the brake pedal is released the idle jumps from 900 to around 1100-1200. Is that normal? The external hose to the power booster is good though. You think there is an internal vac leak?

·
Registered
976 Posts
HEMIII said:
I have noticed when the brake pedal is released the idle jumps from 900 to around 1100-1200. Is that normal? The external hose to the power booster is good though. You think there is an internal vac leak?
Leak is in the brake booster, probably. There's a diaphragm in there and it sounds like it's developed a crack.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts