Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just finished fitting new shocks to my Trooper and due to lack of options, had to go with longer Landcruiser 80 rear shocks.
I originally had OME 912 springs with N15 shocks. Open length = 517mm, closed length = 327mm
The landcruiser 80 shocks are OME 60062 (587/357mm) and is the replacement for OME N85
These shocks lower the droop point by 70mm (3") but you'll also need to drop your bump stops 30mm - this results in 40mm more travel.

When I got my Trooper it had originally been lifted. I dont know how far, probably 2 to 3". The rear was kept in check with OME 2912 shocks and I made a spacer to compensate for the sagging that had occured in its lifetime.
My aim with the shock replacement was to keep the rear at the same height but obviously now, I had to find a way to keep the springs in with the extra travel.
After much reading on this forum (THANK YOU ALL FOR THE INFO), I made an educated guess which worked out perfectly. I had custom springs made, which mimic the main coils on the stock springs but are much longer than stock. I then made the shocks fit and then cut the springs to size.
Info is below.

I'm very happy with the result.
Here is a video of the Trooper with the new rear setup, on 235/85/16 rubber

Handwriting Photograph Blue Font Rectangle

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I recently have been having an issue where my springs will fall out on obstacles with a lot of flex.

You're saying you just custom ordered springs at the rate and and length you wanted?

Did you say where you made this order and about how much it cost? What was the turn around time?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I recently have been having an issue where my springs will fall out on obstacles with a lot of flex.

You're saying you just custom ordered springs at the rate and and length you wanted?

Did you say where you made this order and about how much it cost? What was the turn around time?
I had this done in Cape Town, South Africa. So my answer will be meaningless to you.
But, FWIW, I paid approx $300 for the springs and waited 2 weeks.
Specs of the springs are in the picture above of my handwritten notes. Measurements are in mm (metric).

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Still helpful and I appreciate you posting. Having custom springs made never even crossed my mind.

Did you explore other options like retention straps or spring retainers along the way?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No I didnt.
With the springs I had, to retain the same height at the back, I would have needed to come up with an arrangement where my springs could pop out approx 50mm and then line up again while also keeping my 35mm spacers in situ. This just wasnt going to happen.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You;ll also notice that I have a drawing of a small spring retainer that I bolted onto the lower (open) end of the spring. Its nothing more than a piece of 1" wide flat bar, 4mm thick that I bent to those dimensions.
Held in place through the center hole of the lower spring mount, with a M10 bolt and penny washers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts