Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/csw/f ... 09697.html

i was curious if anyone knows how hard it would be to flop this diesel motor into a first gen trooper. i found a few different motors for reasonably cheap, but have no idea how hard it would be to drop it in and make everything work. how bout some insight guys?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Lol, thats a 30hp engine.... Those isuzu thermo diesels are also quite heavy iirc.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/csw/g ... 19010.html

there's this one too. if i'm not mistaken, weren't the early first gens 2.2's? and weight isn't really the issue. my buddies have me talked into a 5.9 cummins in my trooper, but if i was going to put a diesel in it, i wanted it to be an isuzu motor... they all laughed at me. haha

·
Registered
1,489 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it sure is. to be honest, it hardly fits in a dodge 3/4 ton frame. but the ammount of power you can push through that motor is nuts. we're talkin 600hp and 1100ft/lbs of torque. just a phenomenal power plant. but there would be way too much custom fabrication to make that swap practical. but here's my other question, i found a rather large 4-cylinder diesel on the local craigslist. states it's an isuzu. but doesn't give me any specs. just says 60hp in the ad. if i post the add up here can someone tell me what it is?

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
i know of one person that used a 2.2L N\A engine that was out of a pup or LUV.

unlike the two you listed that are industrial engines. with reduced hp and rpm ranges, plus a Injection pump that is not meant for highway use.
it was an automotive engine but the extra 1,000lbs of the trop over the little truck made it a dog.
IE over 60 mph driving was out of the question unless you WOT it for a few miles.

so if the plan is for this trop to live on a farm an work in low range all its life yea the 30/40hp engine will work OK
but on the road, NO it will be horrid even on roads posted at 60

i have the same 2.2L diesel that the pups got only its with the turbo only sold 86/87, it makes about 80hp at rated rpms 4,200 its enuf power for me but im not a fast driver by any means, 0 to 60 time over 20 sec at WOT but at 55 speeds it gets 29 mpg with 31" tires :D :D

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
there are industrial application engines that have been put into road vehicles. it can be done. and even if the motor is only rated for forty horse, it's probly got close to 200ft/lbs of torque. and torque is what turns tires. this is strictly for a mud toy/crawler/half *** pull truck. i wanna show the state of minnesota what an isuzu diesel motor can do outside of a duramax. but that's just me. i'm always thinking outside the box, or trooper for you isuzu guys on here. lol :lol:

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
If you use the RIGHT ISUZU diesel it's a pretty easy swap. Do a search there are a couple of threads here with links to more info than you can read on this.

After spending the weekend smelling french fries behind Slainer on the trail I'm giving some serious thought to this myself!

·
Registered
645 Posts
lets start rolling coal with the troopers!

smoking people out @ bus stops and all, :)

·
Registered
645 Posts
lets start rolling coal with the troopers!

smoking people out @ bus stops and all, :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
theres no way you can get a 6bt to fit in the isuzoo with out a rediculous ammount of modification, firewall cutting, etc. it would be perfect if it would fit considering you can run a 6bt 12valve off basically 2 wires. a more practical engine would be something like a 4bt. might want to look into those a bit. hell of a lot smaller then the 6bt, lighter, and still have a decent ammount of power

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i know the 12 valve cummins would be an insane amount of work, but i think the payoff would be worth it. lol but it's basically the same thing as taking a 4 banger out of a honda and slapping a small block chevy in it. it's alot of work, but it's absolutely insane when it's done.

·
Registered
74 Posts
zayo69 said:
i know the 12 valve cummins would be an insane amount of work, but i think the payoff would be worth it. lol but it's basically the same thing as taking a 4 banger out of a honda and slapping a small block chevy in it. it's alot of work, but it's absolutely insane when it's done.
it would definitely be one of a kind.

a 4bt, on the other hand is a lot easier because of size, and there are tons of aftermarket supporting mods for swap. the newer 4bt(3.9L model) has something like 130hp and 360tq. the pistons, valve train, injectors, etc are all shared between the 6bt and 4bt, so parts are easy to find.

heres a lot of good info on 4bt swaps if you look around:

http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/index.php

·
Registered
74 Posts
one other problem i forgot about with the 6bt is weight. im not sure you could get a decent ride and flex out of your front suspension with coils stiff enough to support such a heavy engine.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
that's why swapping in one ton axles would be a must. see, i'm a die hard mud bogger at heart, and i have endless amounts of resources to get these parts from. i'm not looking to make it pretty, i just want something wild to bomb through a mud hole in. and what better to do it in then a chopped top 12 valve cummins trooper! haha i really like everyones opinion on this matter as well. this is a really good engineering excercise as well. lol

·
Registered
74 Posts
im just a hard core dodge guy lol.

with the 6bt, you might want to get some exact measurements on the height and length of the engine; i have a feeling your going to have the top of the engine sticking out of the hood, and might need to cut into the firewall/core support to get it to fit lengthwise. do they even make a conversion kit for the 6bt to an isuzu transmission? i have a feeling it wont stand up to a 6bt for long... a full on HD running gear swap would be pretty cool. 6bt 12valve, NV5600(orNV4500?), NP241DLD or NP241DHD, and some 60's/80's to roll on would be pretty sweet!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
then get some 54" boggers to get the mud sky way. haha but it would definitely be a one-off custom job, there's no getting around that.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Forget the Cummins... even the 4B-series is much too heavy to install into a Trooper frame. Full-size Dodge trucks struggle with the weight of the 6B and the Trooper frame would collapse.

I have a friend with a 1953 Dodge M37 3/4 ton truck that we have installed a 4BT Cummins engine into 10-12 years ago, and his frame was way more beefy than a Trooper frame. My M37 with a GM 6.X diesel, Spicer 3053A trans and NP200 transfer case is pushing 1000 lbs in weight for just the powertrain alone; so I do know what I'm talking about. The Isuzu 3.9 diesel engines are nice, but still weigh an ungodly amount, and the transmission options are limited to GM automatics -

If I was looking to install a diesel engine into my 1991 Trooper, I'd be looking for the factory Trooper 2.8 TD swap...

bnc

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.