Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
Have my 1990 2.6 Trooper on the road and loving it! Previous owner installed an electric fan with wood screws into the radiator. No bueno. I took it off and had a radiator shop fix the screw holes. I am running the fan on a bracket I made but wondering why this happened in the first place?

You all have a lot of background. Was the factory fan just not good enough? I would prefer a mechanical fan to an electric and would like to restore to standard unless that is a bad idea. I don't have an A/C system so I am not sure if I need a fan clutch or not.

I searched previous posts but any advice much appreciated. 1) Keep the electric; 2) Get aftermarket parts to restore the original set-up; 3) Other option I don't know about.

Currently, the Trooper warms up to about the midpoint on the gauge and stays there with the fan on.

Thanks much--
Russell

·
Registered
1989 Trooper R/S
4,175 Posts
Russell,
There all all kinds of electric fans. Some are dual fans, others are two speed single
Automotive tire Fuel tank Motor vehicle Automotive design Motorcycle
fans, and others are single speed single fans. Most are set up with a fan switch in the coolant circuit so they will only come on when either the A/C is on or the temp in the coolant system is higher than the setting of the temp sensor. I have an 89 that came from the factory without air and it came with the large plastic fan, a shroud and a fan clutch. One thing to check is to make sure you have at the least a 2 row radiator. I do know some of the early Troopers without air came with a single row radiator and a small 4 bladed fan. My temp never goes above half and I'm in Texas where it's over 100 lots of the summer days. If you install an engine drivin fan I would get the large fan, a shroud and fan clutch, and make sure your radiator is at least a 2 row.

Reactions: thrombolite

·
Registered
1989 Trooper R/S
4,175 Posts
Would like to add this bit of fan info in case you do go with the engine drivin fan. Proper positioning of the fan in relation to the shroud is important.. Fan should be about half way into the shroud for max benefit. I noticed at a recent car show that many of the conversion engines had there fans improperly positioned for max air flow through the radiator.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Would like to add this bit of fan info in case you do go with the engine drivin fan. Proper positioning of the fan in relation to the shroud is important.. Fan should be about half way into the shroud for max benefit. I noticed at a recent car show that many of the conversion engines had there fans improperly positioned for max air flow through the radiator.

I put a flex fan in my 90 2.6 and took off the shroud. It's hot here and I have never had any problems.

·
Registered
9,724 Posts
Your best bet is with the system that ISUZU originally put on there. Dennis

·
Registered
156 Posts
I put an electric fan in my 89 with a 2.6 and regretted it. Dennis is right. I put a new aisin fan blade and clutch in and the engine is happy. (With the factory shroud)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts