Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 95 rodeo. It needs new front shocks as the they are shot.I plan on doing torsion crank to match the lift shackles i plan to make. It will not be lifted more than 2 inches though. It has KYB shocks on it now that are black. Not sure which ones they are but they are wayy too soft of a ride for me. I think it may be cause they are shot. Im looking for a decent yet stiff ride. It will not see much offroading. Looking for opinions on what shock to use. Thanks

·
Registered
268 Posts
Just my opinion. And people may eat me alive for saying it. Honestly, if you arn't doing much off-roading then go with Autozone/Advanced Auto Parts shocks. They are a decent price and will get the job done. You just need to find out what length you need and find the shock part number yourself. The people at autozone don't know **** except to enter your Rodeo into the computer and pull up its stock shocks.

How are you making your lift shackles?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My buddies gonna do it. He works at a crane company and hes a fabricator there. Gonna use plate steel and make a strong cross bar between them. He gonna get me bolts with grease channels in them as well. Should be a good setup. I just want it not bounce around so much in the front. It dives likes crazy when braking and just bounces too much over bumps. Price really dont matter as i work at a carlot and i get stuff at my cost.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Go with some air shocks? then you can change the pressure as you like it. They are more $$ but as you said you can get stuff at cost.

Would your friend possibly be willing to make another set for some $$? :wink: :wink:

Reason I ask is because mine needs shocks too all the way around. I don't want to go buy stock shocks because I would like to do a 2" lift myself. But Calmini and indy4x lifts are $450+ *ouch* Would be thinking that I could get some extended shocks with a custom lift.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Is he just measuring the original and adding a couple of inches to them?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah u gotta add 2 inches for every inch of lift. I want no more that 2 inches of lift total cause of cranking torsion bars. Id like to have some downtravel

·
Registered
268 Posts
Flipping the ball joints too? Wouldn't it be nice if you could get the measurements of the Calmini shackles or the indy4x ones?

·
Registered
268 Posts
What do u mean flip them the right way?

·
Registered
268 Posts
ohh, yeah. I thought that. I thought you might have meant a different way. Yeah.

Thats what I plan on doing. Tires first. Then the lift. Then a Aussie Locker in the rear.

Let me know about those shackles. It would save me a ton prolly. :)

·
Registered
5,475 Posts
I have a 1st gen rodeo as well, with a 2" lift. For starters, there's no need to do a balljoint flip on a 2" lift, I replaced my balljoints due to age, but they were installed same way as they were from the factory.

If you're doing a 3" + lift, then yes balljoints may need to be flipped, but only if you're having reallignment problems, as that's the only reason to flip them in the first place, they do not provide additional height.

For shocks, I have the standard length, I have gabriel sport shocks on the front and monroe sensa tracs on the rear - haven't had time to match the fronts to the rear, but I like both shock types..they're great in handling, cornering, etc from mild offroading to highway traveling.

Here's my truck with 2" lift, 32" tires (265/75 16's on 16x8 wheels) ...kindof gives you an idea of what the 1st gen looks like with a 2" lift

·
Registered
268 Posts
See I thought that adding the 2" in the front by rotating the torsion bars is going to screw up your camber... like \--/ since the wheels are being lowered.

Is this not true? And what 2" lift did you use?

(Thanks for the pix too!)

·
Registered
5,475 Posts
No...a simple 2" lift doesn't screw the alignment that badly....you DO want to have the truck realigned after cranking the torsion bars however.

My lift consists of cranking the front bars and adding longer shackles, followed by an alignment....my truck drives straight and true, I've never had alignment issues before or after.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Did u get the shackles from calmini or indy4x? homemade?

·
Registered
5,475 Posts
Calmini....haven't had any issues with them. Their asking price at the time was a bit cheaper then Indy4x, that was around 5-6yrs ago now.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Yeah I set my eyes on the calmini lift. Cheaper than indy's and comes with new torsion bars. But if I can get some fabbed shackles I may go that rout.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wow ramblin. Mines the same color and i planned on putting the same size tires on it. Is yours a 5 speed? Mine has 4.30 gears and its a 5 speed. Just wondering how it drives with the larger tires. Mines on snowflake wheels. I guess i wont do the balljoint flip then . They need to be replaced as they fail for inspection.

·
Registered
5,475 Posts
turdstangjunk69 said:
Wow ramblin. Mines the same color and i planned on putting the same size tires on it. Is yours a 5 speed? Mine has 4.30 gears and its a 5 speed. Just wondering how it drives with the larger tires. Mines on snowflake wheels. I guess i wont do the balljoint flip then . They need to be replaced as they fail for inspection.
If your truck's as old as mine, yes...the balljoints need replaced, all 4 of them...get the kind with zerk fittings, then you can regrease them over and over.

Mine is an automatic with 4.30 gears, I'm the original owner of this truck and it's been a fabulous ride except when I went crazy thinking it needed heavy duty shocks, that only lasted 2yrs before I dumped them and went back to regular, non-heavy duty shocks. The coolest thing with this truck was when I installed the 16x8 wheels, gave it a much wider stance and the driving of it did change a bit, but for the better.

I've only ever experienced a little sluggishness running up on Monarch Pass at 11,300ft elevation is the only time the engine gets somewhat winded. I don't tow with this truck anymore, although it used to....the tires I have on it now, Goodyear Duratrac's are the best tire I've ever ran on this truck and makes it look like a pretty mean truck when parked next to your standard rodeo.

This 1st pic is with the old Revo's, they were 265's as well...2nd pic was right after I got the Duratrac's installed, only have 5k miles on them now

1 - 20 of 28 Posts