Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking a building a front half exo-cage for my '92 trooper. Nothing serious, just a little protection for the engine compartment, fenders and windshield. I have rock rails welded on already, and am planning on building a front bumper soon. I was wondering if I could run tubing from the front of the rock rails, bend it to follow the fender/wheel well, and weld it to the front bumper. Then, run a piece from each side of the bumper, up following the grill, across the front of the hood and back down. On the rock rail-bumper piece, run a piece up the a pillar, across the top of the windshield (possibly tying into the roof rack, and back down.

First of all, would this create any support, or is it just adding weight?
What size tube would you use?
Has anyone done something similar?

I'll try to get some sketches up soon since o know just reading it sounds confusing.

·
Registered
677 Posts
And if you needed to add antifreeze or oil or transmission fluid, how would you get the hood opened? Or are you planning to take the hood off completely? With the hood gone you might be better off welding directly to the frame.

Of course the best protection of all is to avoid hitting trees in the first place.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, I should have explained that part better. The front will go up the gill, and follow across the front of the hood, but an 1" or so infront of it so I can still open it. It won't actually be on top of the hood keeping it closed.

I'd also like to add one across the bottom of the A pillars, like where the windshield wipers are.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Never built one, but here's a Trooper with one for some possible ideas...

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Hatfield said:

:shock: :shock: :shock:

:cry: I want one :cry:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hatfield said:

This is the one I was going to suggest looking at. That's Gilbert's Trooper. One of the very best built Troopers I have seen. He had a fab company for a while but I don't know if he is still in business. He built the boulder bars on my Amigo.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i might run something a little smaller then that then. i dont plan on being in any life threatening areas, just looking for a bit more protection.

if i dent a bend up a fender, oh well. its a trail rig. if i really need to get the fender off, ill just the the cutting wheel to that part of the cage

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bikesrcool said:
1.5 .120 wall DOM id u wanna rely ur life on it

or 1 3/4 .120 wall dom

and i love exos but idk how u would pull a fender off if a rock squeeks by the tube
Why run DOM on an exo cage? I see this being a massive waste of money for a rig that will be seeing slow speed rolls (if it does roll).

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
isuzooz said:
Bikesrcool said:
1.5 .120 wall DOM id u wanna rely ur life on it

or 1 3/4 .120 wall dom

and i love exos but idk how u would pull a fender off if a rock squeeks by the tube
Why run DOM on an exo cage? I see this being a massive waste of money for a rig that will be seeing slow speed rolls (if it does roll).
im not expecting a rollover, mostly for tight squeezes, slipping in the mud into a tree, rubbing some rocks. stuff like that.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Griz said:
Hatfield said:

This is the one I was going to suggest looking at. That's Gilbert's Trooper. One of the very best built Troopers I have seen. He had a fab company for a while but I don't know if he is still in business. He built the boulder bars on my Amigo.
That is one of the top 3 sexiest Troopers I have seen.
Does Gilbert have a build thread on here or another forum that you are aware of, or more pictures somewhere?

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Here's the only other ones I've seen. Maybe someone else has more

·
Registered
166 Posts
shaneb said:
That is one of the top 3 sexiest Troopers I have seen.
Does Gilbert have a build thread on here or another forum that you are aware of, or more pictures somewhere?
I don't know if Gilbert was ever over here but he was active on the Wire in its heyday. Go to
http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/postlist. ... oard=UBB68
and search for Gilbert or Trooperdude. That will bring up his posts .

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hatfield said:
Here's the only other ones I've seen. Maybe someone else has more

thats the basic design i want, but a little more simple. my snorkel will be hood mounted so i dont have to worry about installation/removal of it from behind the cage

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.