Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heads are in the shop right now. Resurface and valve job just to be safe. I'm scared to death of putting this thing back together. This is obviously my first time and i'm unsure about a few things. What has to be replaced and what should come directly from Isuzu? I've heard I should replace the head bolts (Isuzu only), timing belt tensioner (Isuzu only), timing belt (Isuzu), water pump (aftermarket), and the gaskets and seals (head set) (Isuzu). Do I really need to replace all of this? Can I reuse anything? Does it all have to be Isuzu? Also, how should I clean the brown/black junk on the inside of the intake manifold? For that matter, how can I clean the inside of the cylinders without pulling the pistons? Money and time are quickly running out, so please help me out.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
I assume from his sig of a 98 amigo and the fact he said heads plural, he has the 3.2 engine.

If you want to take everything off of the intake you could have it dipped. You could also steam clean it. I don't know if the newer Isuzu's use torque to yeild head bolts or not. If they are not torque to yeild bolts there's really no sense in getting new head bolts unless yours are damaged in some way.

As far as the timing belt, tensioner, and water pump. Yes that's worth doing while you are there. Do you really want to tear all of this back apart in 10 or 15 thousand miles to replace the water pump?

Joe

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Joe. You are right, sorry, 3.2 V6. Head job done (decked and valve job). For future reference, I would like to know if the head bolts are re-usable, as I am now a die-hard amigo driver and anticipate owning more in the future (also I know that this amigo has had head gaskets replaced before). Now I'm having trouble setting the timing belt. Installed it once as close to how the Haynes manual instructed as i could figure, and it seemed perfect--all marks lined up perfectly after tensioner released. After I put everything back together it still wouldn't run right. It was missing on the entire right bank and the spark plugs on that side are black and smell like gas. My mechanic (I paid him to diagnose again) said the t-belt must be off by a tooth or two, so I'm back in there. Any tips? TDC is pretty unclear in the Haynes; how do I know for sure if I'm there?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts