Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before Anyone says anytihng, I'll tell you the story. Was driving back from the recycle plant when the empty garbage bags i had in the back flew out the window. I pulled over to get them back. Stuck in some mud, nuthing too bad. Put it in R, just spinning the tires, even at a low rpm. Went to 4wd low (also low on the gear selector) and didnt budge. Cops came by with an expedition with a tow strap.

lol

0531011530 by dryvr12, on Flickr

0531011526 by dryvr12, on Flickr

other than not finding THE muddiest spot to pull over, anyone have some tips to not get stuck? Or rather about getting unstuck?

·
Premium Member
4,350 Posts
been there man and wish I had photos to share. A friend and I were getting dirty, and running through a creek bed... well, I hit a spot and the trooper sank, and I mean sank. It was like quick sand, but mud. I had to crawl out of the windows to exit the vehicle, and the mud was up to the door handles. I had to dig, dig , dig and wait for the bulldozer a few miles away to pull me out... it was horrible. :oops:

fun fun

cheers
-Ian

·
Registered
9,936 Posts
It happens. Once you are stuck over the hubs like that, your are pretty much screwed.

Thinks that you can try:

1) Air down to about 15 psi
2) Dig holes around tires and stuff with rocks

If those don't work, time to call someone with a tow strap!

Bart

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
Hi-lift jack could very well help, especially if you have a piece of plywood or something to enlarge the footprint of the jack so it doesn't sink into the ground. And of course, you need suitable jacking points.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
looks like the frame is resting on the floor...once that happens thats pretty much it but HEY! it happens :wink:

·
Registered
432 Posts
Where do you apply a hi-lift? To a nearby tree with a snatch rope?....

Hi lifts are pretty much worthless unless you have already given up on smooth body panels ;-)

"Crush the rocker panels, open the doors!"

Cheers

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
vurry vurry nice :lol:

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
nfpgasmask said:
It happens. Once you are stuck over the hubs like that, your are pretty much screwed.

Thinks that you can try:

1) Air down to about 15 psi
2) Dig holes around tires and stuff with rocks

If those don't work, time to call someone with a tow strap!

Bart
well it was about 1/2 up the tires, i locked em and then they spun, digging me deeper.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
My suggestion would be better tires. Those walmart good years suck ***, but so do my Daycos.. wait.. no they are ok it's just my lead foot on the skinny pedal defying gravity that gets me in trouble.

·
Registered
793 Posts
yeah i would say some better tire would not get you into that position. but I got my trooper stuck one time too...

I thought that was an exit of that walmart but then it's a ledge , about 4~5 feet drop... covered with snow... lol it was a Christmas night and some nice lady came with xterra, but no strap at the time, and she waved to a driving by tow truck and got me out of there..

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
On my budget, my walmart goood years work just fine haha

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
CalG said:
Where do you apply a hi-lift? To a nearby tree with a snatch rope?....

Hi lifts are pretty much worthless unless you have already given up on smooth body panels ;-)

"Crush the rocker panels, open the doors!"

Cheers
Well like I said you need suitable jacking points...rock sliders or off-road style bumpers can serve. A stock vehicle would not have these.

However, one of these: http://www.hi-lift.com/accessories/lift-mate.html can even work on a stock vehicle, depending on wheel type.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.