Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my 2001 Trooper mud slogging over the week end. :D http://www.sounddomain.com/memberpage/456644/2

After the 1 ½ hour drive home at the first street light when pulling away my auto transmission felt as if I had a clutch and it was or is slipping. :? The battery and brake lights are on. It was fine on the trail. I don't get it. I didn't get it that wet :!: Help.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
My guess is that you fried your alternator and now your charging system is out of wack and your ECU that controls the tranny and everything else won't run right with an alt full of mud.

If you clean it up your dealer may replace the alt for you or they may charge you 300 bucks for a replacement.

judging by this picture you dipped your alt right into the mud pit.

-Ryan

·
Registered
591 Posts
Yep. Anything less than 14v system voltage & everything goes crazy in these trucks. Your tranny may have stuck in 3rd due to this (shift it manually when this happens) The alternators are in a HORRIBLE location. Dunking them in the water while running almost always kills them instantly. Like Ryan says, if you are under 3yrs/50Kmi, clean it up real good & take'er to the dealer :wink: .

G/luck
Joel

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys I was thinking in that direction. :(

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK so I called Isuzu dealer and the service adviser confirmed the alternator was the problem. I was told that I was out of warranty by 1 month. :evil: He then advised me that the alternator alone would be a bargain at $660.00 plus install. :shock: Of course I called Isuzu owner relations (Ha) :p and was told in no uncertain terms tough Twinkies. :cry: Well I guess I didn't fall far from the Land Rover Tree. :lol:

·
Registered
591 Posts
Did you take ownership of your trooper in 2000? The alternater should be covered under the 3yr/50Kmi b/b warranty. I would think your time wouldn't run out until 2004 for a 2001 troop. Can you try another dealership? It really is a shame isuzu wont let their dealerships bend just alittle bit to acommodate the customer. Yet another reason whey they are barely hanging on. Nissan installed a new tranny for me once at 62500mi. Their powertrain warranty at the time ran out at 60Kmi. The dealership let it slide & wrote it up as 59500mi anyway. I've bought several nissans from them since. I'm lucky my local isuzu dealer is really good as well.
G/luck
Joel

·
Registered
45 Posts
Seems like many parts are overpriced at the stealership. I had a busted passenger door mirror on my Rodeo when I bought it. Called the Stealership and they quoted me $496 for the part (power mirror) and about $200 in labor to install it. I picked it up at a junk yard for $150 and installed it myself in about a 1/2 hour.

I think your best bet is buying an aftermarket part if you can find them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.