Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Nov 18-21

Votes: 2 22.2%
21 - 40 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
1989 Trooper LS, Chevy 4.3 built VERY stout! 32/11.50/15 M/T’s, 5 speed
10 Posts
I'll be a "1st timer" but count me in! I've never wheeled my trooper in Uwharrie, just the beach. (If that counts as wheeling!) I'm not new to wheeling, I wheeled my land cruisers for years, but it's time to take my troopers virginity! See you in Nov!

Reactions: superswire

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Good evening campers!

I hope everyone is well. Glad to see some new people jumping in. Uwharrie has plenty of trails that are Newb friendly. Plus there are plenty of people who will help try to keep you out of trouble. The old saying used to be stay off any trail starting with a "D" if your are a newb. That has changed and they have all gotten tamer except Daniel. Stay clear of that unless you know what you are doing. The top half isn't too bad, and we often run that with newer people, but the bottom half is much more intense.

The most important thing to remember is we have done our best to keep this family friendly. All are welcome, that know how to play well with others. There are many different religions, races, and political groups represented within our Planet family. Please respect that and we will all have a great time. Kids and dogs are welcome as long as you watch both (keep them on a leash if needed) :lol: and clean up after them.

Another great resource for new people is to read back through the threads of years past. There are tons of stories, pictures, and info to be picked up on.

If anyone is planning to stay at the group camp, please let me know as soon as possible. I have paid for the group camp and will be asking for $30 from anyone camping there to help cover the cost. Others are reserving sites at Arrowhead Campground right down the road. If both of those fill up, Badin Lake campground has some sites and some other folks like to just camp along the trail. There are many places you can camp for free on the trails. We also have historically had a group dinner Friday and/or Saturday night. There is usually a donation of $10 asked for to cover the expense of this. On the spring trip we had steaks, shrimp, grilled corn, and seasoned veggies on Saturday night followed by cherry cobbler. I am not sure what I am cooking this year just yet...

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
So the "elders" have chosen Nov 4-7th. So be it.
:mrgreen:
Marking my calendar and hope to still be open that weekend to go.
Thx Mike for posting up

·
Registered
647 Posts
TonkaToy said:
Good evening campers!

I hope everyone is well. Glad to see some new people jumping in. Uwharrie has plenty of trails that are Newb friendly. Plus there are plenty of people who will help try to keep you out of trouble. The old saying used to be stay off any trail starting with a "D" if your are a newb. That has changed and they have all gotten tamer except Daniel. Stay clear of that unless you know what you are doing. The top half isn't too bad, and we often run that with newer people, but the bottom half is much more intense.
I keep seeing people post on facebook how bad saw mill, rocky mountain and even falls dam are this year. I am going to go on a day trip here in a couple weeks to see.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
We usually go out at dumb o'clock and break stuff on daniel in the middle of the night. :drunken: :lol: :lol:
I will say that that place , you can totally underestimate it since we wheel it so often. It will take your lunch sometimes unexpectedly.
But on the other hand it is almost the perfect place to teach people how to wheel.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
lorenzo816 said:
We usually go out at dumb o'clock and break stuff on daniel in the middle of the night. :drunken: :lol: :lol:
We is a pretty broad brush stroke there sir... I have been on many a midnight run and haven't broke anything. This seems to be your gift. :lol:

·
Registered
496 Posts
lorenzo816 said:
Well if you have no stories to tell and no breakage? Did it really happen?
:mrgreen:
Um you ever heard of thing called a camera phone, they have been around for a few years now lol

·
Registered
Bone stock 1989 Trooper S 2.8.
75 Posts
Hey, this would be my first year if I can make it (health). I have a truck camper and will probably throw a towbar on the front of my Trooper to get it there. Not new to mudding (what we used to call it in the PNW), but new to group events like this. Anything I should do/know/prepare for? I'm just starting on my 89, and it only has cracked street tires on it for now, so not sure how much it can take. Although, as a test, I neatly parked it on it's trailer hitch yesterday. "Oops"?

My camper is all set up for Boondocking, so a tent site is perfect if they'll let me.

·
Registered
496 Posts
CodeElegance said:
Hey, this would be my first year if I can make it (health). I have a truck camper and will probably throw a towbar on the front of my Trooper to get it there. Not new to mudding (what we used to call it in the PNW), but new to group events like this. Anything I should do/know/prepare for? I'm just starting on my 89, and it only has cracked street tires on it for now, so not sure how much it can take. Although, as a test, I neatly parked it on it's trailer hitch yesterday. "Oops"?
You are welcome to come, just bring some cash to share the cost of dinner and the site(paypal and cashapp work too), if you wanna eat and camp w us. We are more than willing to take a peek at your rig and give you a idea of what trails you can do and which ones you may wanna pass on. Even a stock rig can do most of them, esp if it has a LSD rear or locker. Bring your own alcohol if you drink, and whatever you wanna eat, drink or snack on for lunch on trial as we typically spend all day Sat out there. A few get there on Thursday afternoon and most Friday at some point.

We also are a laid back crew, we joke w each other and are constantly making fun of Lorenzo so bring a sense of humor. Group dinner is usually Sat and someone (I did last time) makes breakfast Sat and Sun morning. Im sure someone else will add to what I said. Any other questions just ask

·
Registered
75 Posts
I must have missed the basics. Like, what campground, and how to reserve. Also, paypal info for "stuff".

·
Registered
496 Posts
CodeElegance said:
I must have missed the basics. Like, what campground, and how to reserve. Also, paypal info for "stuff".
Oh, yea we have a group camp you are welcome to show up to. You can contribute once you get there since the amount is determined by how many show up to camp and eat. Usually it's like 30 a person for the weekend for camping and 10 to 15 a person for the weekend towards the food. If you back read we stay at the Badin lake group camp site. This time we booked site C. If you put it in your GPS it will take you to the group camp and there are plenty of signs pointing the way once you get into the national forest. Look for the Isuzu's since the sites are in a big circle. There are showers and bathrooms in the middle and are pretty decent.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I reserved #33 at Arrowhead for the night of the 3rd, but will move to the group camp on the 4th. See y'all!

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Less than two month to go and things are coming together nicely! Hope everyone has had a great summer and is getting their rigs ready. I've made a few upgrades to Smitty's Trooper with the help of MrDunge. Pulled out the welded front diff so I can steer in 4wd now! New Cherokee springs in the rear for some added elevation. and a bunch of maintenance all around like brakes and shocks. It is driving much better now. So much so that I do not plan to trailer it this trip. I think it is ready for the road trip this time. Plus I had some other things come up and I was not able to buy a new equipment trailer this year. Now, if something changes between now and then that may change, but either way I am excited about the trip!

I have updated the main post for who is camping where. If you don't see your name on the list speak up quickly because the group camp is almost full.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
BUMP!!!!!
:cool:

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm desperately trying to get my trooper ready, but every time I drive it, something new crops up. I'd BETTER get it ready! The new mud tires are all aired up with the stickers still on them!

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I'm desperately trying to get my trooper ready, but every time I drive it, something new crops up. I'd BETTER get it ready! The new mud tires are all aired up with the stickers still on them!
I get it bud. MrDunge and I spent all day Sunday thrashing on Smitty's Trooper to finish the maintenance on it. It is running like a scalded dog now and driving much better. It will be getting the tires rebalanced and an alignment next week. If I feel froggy I might try and get a set of lights mounted, but I have a lot of other irons in the fire so we will see.

Only a month away!!

21 - 40 of 106 Posts