Isuzu SUV Forum banner
61 - 80 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
OK,
So after pulling the front bearing I am confident the problem is in the rear end now. So, it begs the question - run it until it breaks or try to replace it. I think once the clutches finally do go that the diff will just be open so no harm just no posi.

Might try to completely flush the differential with mineral oil and then add a lot more limited slip additive.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Marcus, I've suggested this before, why not swap in an entire rear axle assembly? It is really an easy job. Squatch posted the name of a boneyard near you that has some Troopers.

I wouldn't be wasting time with the mineral oil. You'll feel like a dummy if the problem seems to go away only to reappear hundreds of miles from home while you are pulling a trailer.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Yeah, this is an option. I have found several in the "general" area. but as Garrett and I were discussing tonight. What causes the clutches to hang up? I think over time they swell up and actually get larger. Not actually wear down etc. So even if we find a complete assembly with say 30, 40 or 50k miles on it it still has the same amount of time soaking in gear oil as a rear with 150k miles on it since they all are about the same age.

Again, I could be totally off base here but my understanding is that the clutch packs are always applying pressure and need to slip around turns etc. I found the clutch packs for about $150 bucks but no idea of what is involved in pulling them apart once the third member is out of the rear.

At this point I am not as concerned about the issue as I was since I don't think this is a safety issue. I just didn't want to be towing and have a wheel come flying off. :) So towing and having the LSD fail would only cause a lack of posi and not cause the truck to become immobile (I hope!)

By the way, Shifty has started to exhibit the same problem only to a lesser degree. Might be something in our driveway that is contagious!

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
MarcusInMD said:
By the way, Shifty has started to exhibit the same problem only to a lesser degree. Might be something in our driveway that is contagious!
Yeah, like old age. My joints are also starting to make clicking noise and I haven't been near your driveway.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Hack said:
MarcusInMD said:
Yeah, like old age. My joints are also starting to make clicking noise and I haven't been near your driveway.
Take a swig of LSD additive and call me in the morning.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Marcus I'm using used LSD's and have had no problems. Make sure you use gl5 dino oil not synth. clutch type LSD's can chatter with synth oil. Could it be the inside carrier bearings.

The trooper I got my seats from at Petrie's was low mileage. I think everything I saw there was late model modified 12 bolt like yours.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
squatch said:
Marcus I'm using used LSD's and have had no problems. Make sure you use gl5 dino oil not synth. clutch type LSD's can chatter with synth oil. Could it be the inside carrier bearings.

The trooper I got my seats from at Petrie's was low mileage. I think everything I saw there was late model modified 12 bolt like yours.
Thanks for the input Mark. We are using GL5 (It's Castrol GL5 with limited slip additive). We also added a whole tube of the LSD additive as well.

I think it's the clutches holding too tightly. Happens just around turns and moving forward and turning the wheel sharply back and forth. Garrett lifted the rear end and was able to duplicate the noise with the truck in drive and holding one of the wheels so we know it's back there.

Do you remember how many miles were on that truck?

Garrett added more additive. I may try another brand. I have heard some are better then others reading up on the subject.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
GL5 has additive in it already. I use the Castrol without extra additive in Red Beans. These are tight LSD's. Mine have always barked tires on in tight turns.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
squatch said:
GL5 has additive in it already. I use the Castrol without extra additive in Red Beans. These are tight LSD's. Mine have always barked tires on in tight turns.
This is a new problem though. Any circle in the area will create the noise/vibration. Like driving over rumble strips.

I was looking at some old threads and it seems that 80-140 weight is what should be used? I think I put in 75-90 or something close to that. Wonder if that could be having an affect?

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
1st gens used to call for 80/90 the later models call for the heavier oil. I've used both. Maybe you just have a beat up LSD!

·
Registered
504 Posts
if you cant find a spot at the campground you can camp along the orv trails.....i think i may do that because im not 100% sure im going....

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
I'm there, staying at the same little cabin I usually get. Getting in Thursday, leaving Saturday. I'm thinking rifle and pistol range Thursday afternoon. Other than changing all the wheel studs (much needed) zero time to do anything else to do anything else to the Troop other than drive it. Hopefully will get the time to get the vent wing rubber changed before the damn whistling drives me crazy. Looking forward to seeing everyone!

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
Hey y'all, thankfully no family crisis this time around but I'm 90% sure I won't be able to make it out for this due to a work trip that just got thrown at me. :( I might make it back in time to spend Saturday and/or Sunday, but still a little unsure so I went ahead and released my site (36) so someone else can grab it... and yeah, that means I'll need to crash with someone if I can. :D

Shaggy

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
What??? No shack and no Shaggy?

Bummer

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
haven't got the truck back together yet but I'll keep ya updated on the rebuild. Still waiting on a few things.
Blew up the ARB and am upgrading to Cromo shafts in the rear and adding two more Pins to the flanges.

Hope to get it all back together soon.

Think we need to do a new headcount with the open spots and squatters. Myself included.
The way my weeks have been lately, I may make it Saturday-Sunday but I'll update as I go.

NC-Trooper said:
I'd like to go! Is squatting frowned upon?
YOu could just show up and say hey.
or See if there are any spots available on the Gov Rec site if not... see if ya can squat with someone and throw them some cash.
Glad to have some new local Zu heads out in Uwharrie.

loopedr1 said:
if you cant find a spot at the campground you can camp along the orv trails.....i think i may do that because im not 100% sure im going....
Andy long time no see.
You'll have to remind me if you know Wayne or was that the PO of your rig??
I may call him out if he can do it.

Shaggy sucks to hear but hope everything is okay.
Catch up with everyone soon.

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
All,

Although I fixed my truck with a few leftover gremlins, I just don't have enough time to prep due to going out of town and also a shipping deadline for our biggest trade show of the year.

I just cancelled my site reservation for Site #34 so it's officially available. Really sorry I can't make it - but if something changes I will find a way to come up for the weekend.

Have fun guys! (also if anyone knows why my truck's dash is going funny in my other post I'll buy you a chicken sandwich!) :D

Brendan

·
Registered
633 Posts
Ruination said:
All,

Although I fixed my truck with a few leftover gremlins, I just don't have enough time to prep due to going out of town and also a shipping deadline for our biggest trade show of the year.

I just cancelled my site reservation for Site #34 so it's officially available. Really sorry I can't make it - but if something changes I will find a way to come up for the weekend.

Have fun guys! (also if anyone knows why my truck's dash is going funny in my other post I'll buy you a chicken sandwich!) :D

Brendan
Winner winner chicken dinner huh ?

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Still planning on coming up Saturday, we have a Trail hIke planned for that day with the USFS if anyone is interested in taking a look at some of the old trails we are going to try and get re-opened. We are meeting at the Outpost @ 0900.

61 - 80 of 90 Posts