Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just started renting my own welding & fabrication shop today. It's been a dream of mine for about 10 years now. I am hoping to start designing off-road products for the Isuzu community. I have many tools at my disposal. Computer controlled plasma cutting table, mill lathe, a huge metal lathe that will fit 6ft work. Sheet metal press brake/cutter. Aluminum spool gun welder, MIG, ARC, Oxy-Acetylene, and a bunch of other tools.

I am planning on making winch bumpers, rock sliders, roof racks, etc.
I would love to hear your suggestions on what type of products you would like to see created for our trucks. I currently have a 94 trooper to use for a template for parts. Feel free to give your 2 cents.

I fabricated this winch bumper and these rock sliders about 6 years ago when I was going to school for welding/fab. Just a small example of what I'm going for. My new winch bumper designs will be lighter, and more stylish.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Sweet.....nice looking shop.... 8)

I know for my 2nd Gen Rodeo the things I would like see...

1. Front and rear bumpers (that one you show is really nice)

2. Sliders and a nice roof rack with heavy duty roof rails to replace the crummy stock ones...

3. I would love some after market heavy duty skid plates to replace some of the stock ones and ones where there are none....

Just my Christmas wish list..... 8) 8)

I need to bring my rodeo and sleep in your shop while you build it all.....:lol: :lol: :lol:

Any idea on prices for the above mentioned stuff ????

Again nice looking shop and congrats ...... 8) 8) 8)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Very cool!

I don't know what types of designs you deal with, but if you ever need help putting things into 3D feel free to let me know. I'm pretty decent (nobody knows everything afterall) in Solidworks and CATIA and I usually have a good amount of free time between jobs. I convert peoples' pretty pictures on scrap notebook paper and napkins into 3D models all day long so I'd love to help out the Isuzu crowd!

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Congrats! Nothing like following a dream.

I think some metal PlanetIsuzoo Logos would be cool. Say, about the size of a license plate or something.... 8)

Maybe a 3 link kit for Rodeos and Amigos. :?:

An ARB replica for 1st gen Troopers.

just to name a few

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Looks like you have a nice shop underway. Nothing gives me more pride and a warm & fuzzy than seeing people having / making the opportunity to realize their dreams. I'm very, very happy for you and wish you all the best.

shooter

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In the future I plan on designing a multi-link coil sprung front sas system. I want to do an SAS on my truck but I don't see much of a point in adding leaf springs to a vehicle which has a more sophisticated rear suspension system.
So your idea is really not that far from reality.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Winch bumper that is maybe a little more affordable then arb etc. :)
even produce winch plates too. i could use one of those (eventually)

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
1st gen winch bumpers.. PLEASE! We have no real options other than DIY.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I think that the coolest thing that would benefit us numerous owners of 1998+ vehicles with R&P would be a whole re-engineered front wheel knuckle thing... with re-located "connection points" for the tie rods and ball joints. It would allow high lifts AND leaving the front suspension geometry is near-stock position.

I do not know how difficult it would be in terms of CAD etc.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1st gen winch bumpers.. PLEASE! We have no real options other than DIY.
That sounds like something that I could start off with. I need to get a cheap donor 1st gen trooper for fitting of parts. I could probably find a dead one for free.

I think that the coolest thing that would benefit us numerous owners of 1998+ vehicles with R&P would be a whole re-engineered front wheel knuckle thing... with re-located "connection points" for the tie rods and ball joints. It would allow high lifts AND leaving the front suspension geometry is near-stock position.
do you have any good pictures to show exactly what angles are changed and need improved on?

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
otg94 said:
do you have any good pictures to show exactly what angles are changed and need improved on?
No, I do not have them, my drawing talent is non-existent. But you easily can see on a lifted Isuzu what needs improvement in the front suspension:

1) The major concern for R&P folks is the steering tie rod angle. The is the major reason why we cannot work on improving the front wheel travel range. Relocating the steering point and "leveling" the tie rod would be a major improvement. That would require a higher location point of the steering knuckle. 1" or 2" would help tremendously.

2) The upper ball joint attachment would be nice to move up an 1" (provided that we dealt with the tie rod). That would allow better travel range and fix the alignment problems.

3) The lower ball joint can also be slightly moved up, if only for half an inch or less. Also, it would be nice to come up with a creative configuration that would allow servicing the lower ball joint without detaching the front axle (if possible).

·
Registered
623 Posts
otg94 said:
In the future I plan on designing a multi-link coil sprung front sas system. I want to do an SAS on my truck but I don't see much of a point in adding leaf springs to a vehicle which has a more sophisticated rear suspension system.
So your idea is really not that far from reality.
Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
574 Posts
Id be really interested in diff drop brackets!! Congrats on the shop, a definited bucket list item for me is to have my own metal shop before I die...

I really like your rock sliders, what thickness is the wall of the tubing you used? They way I abuse my sliders, I'd probably need at least 1/4" DOM..... :D

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
very nice!! too bad you live far otherwise i would love to help you out...im taking welding classes at college right now and every now and then i come up with bumpers, racks etc

·
Registered
134 Posts
that aboy goes out to you i wish you the best of luck one thing i would like to seeis longer a frames like the ones that total chios makes for toyotas

·
Registered
731 Posts
Congratulations and best of luck! I still need some rock sliders... I may be interested if/when you start fabbing sliders.

I hope it really works out for you. Nothing like doing something you enjoy.

Your ARB 'like' front bumper is a beautiful piece of work.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
That is so freakin cool. I'm a metal fabricator and machinist by trade and have been out of work in that field for way too long; I feel lost with out tools. Congratulations and GOOD LUCK to you. Hope you have more work than you can shake a stick at!
Jay

otg94 said:
So I just started renting my own welding & fabrication shop today. It's been a dream of mine for about 10 years now. I am hoping to start designing off-road products for the Isuzu community. I have many tools at my disposal. Computer controlled plasma cutting table, mill lathe, a huge metal lathe that will fit 6ft work. Sheet metal press brake/cutter. Aluminum spool gun welder, MIG, ARC, Oxy-Acetylene, and a bunch of other tools.

I am planning on making winch bumpers, rock sliders, roof racks, etc.
I would love to hear your suggestions on what type of products you would like to see created for our trucks. I currently have a 94 trooper to use for a template for parts. Feel free to give your 2 cents.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts