Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have reached the point where i have to do something about the suspension on my 2000 Trooper. I bought it used about 2 years ago. It was owned by a car rental agency, and evidence suggests maybe they were carrying a pressure washer and possibly a large fluid tank in it. As a result, the suspension is toast. I also have an ARB bumper, so i am sure that hasn't helped.

Due to a limited budget, I'm going to do this in stages. Shocks are probably going to be the first step, but i eventually will put OME springs in it and crank the t-bars. If i go ahead and get extended length shocks, will they fit in before i get the springs? Do i even need extended shocks? I am planning on just the springs, and my offroading is fairly light these days. :roll: I dont remeber if i had regular or extended lenght on my '96 trooper. It had used OMEs in the rear w/ daystar pucks, and cranked t-bars. I believe i had ProComp 9000s all around. Im stuck with factory tires for now, as i dont want to tear up new rubber with a bad suspension. If i do upgrade when i get tires, it will probably be a 265/75r16, max.

Thanks,

Adam

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
For light offroading you don't really need longer shocks. The type of lift you are talking about does not increase suspension travel, you are just riding higher in the same range of travel.

Having said that, the OME Nitrocharger Trooper shocks are a little longer than stock without being too long where your coils start to fall out at extreme articulation, and are made to work with their shocks. They are excellent.

While I don't doubt you need new shocks, the OME coils make a world of difference in ride quality too.

Also look at replacing your sway bar bushings. A cheap upgrade that really tightens up handling.

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
That sounds good. I would take that advice and run with it. Rear shocks usually have what 7-8 in of stroke?? So you'd gain a bit more and have it dialed in without bottoming out your shocks first.
When I did my four link up front on my amigo a bought rear shocks and used the factory length up front. It worked out perfect !!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts