Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just experienced the strangest thing on my Isuzu Rodeo. Over a year ago I had my windows professionally tinted including the back glass which is heated. I've done this on several vehicles in the last 15 years and had no problem.. All winter, I have used the back defroster as I have for on several other occasions with no problems. Just the other day, we had a morning in the low forties and I once again used the defroster on the back glass and within about 2 minutes, the back glass was suddenly totally shattered. After checking it out, there was not any sign of someone shooting it out or a rock hit.

I took the Rodeo to my local dealership thinking that this was certainly caused by a defect as my vehicle was still under warranty. Within minutes, the service tech walked into his office and produced a service bulletin indicating that the back glass should not be tinted because it could cause a change in resistance of the heating elements which could in-turn cause the window to over heat and crack.

What I am wondering is if anyone else has had this happen to them (because I think it's bunk).

Another lesson learned here is this: Isuzu wants $400 for an untinted peice of glass to replace the factory one. THey can't get it in less than 2 weeks and don't show a stock number for glass that is "privacy" pre-tinted.

I opted to check the local glass shops and within 2 hours found a replacement, PPG glass that was heated and privacy tinted. I got it, including installation for $285.00 - The same day.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Here's a TSB regarding what you had happen . Granted, this isn't for your specific year but I'm sure it's the same problem.

Tailgate glass - Breakage After Tint Film Installation
BULLETIN NUMBER:
IBOO-S009

GROUP:
IN FORMATION

ISSUE DATE:
FEBRUARY 2000

TAILGATE GLASS BREAKAGE AFTER INSTALLATION OF AFTERMARKET FILM TINT MATERIAL

AFFECTED VEHICLES

1996 - 1997 Rodeo (UC)
1998 - 1999 Rodeo (UE)

SERVICE INFORMATION

Some aftermarket tint installers may scratch the heating element (defroster lines) or etch the glass (start of the break area) during installation, from affixing aftermarket film tint material to the tailgate glass. Because of the scratches made during installation, the scratched heating element suffers semi-disconnected condition and the resistance increases on the operating defroster lines. Also, some aftermarket tint installers may choose to uninstall the heating terminals while affixing aftermarket film tint material to the tailgate glass and reinstall the heating terminals loosely. This leads to abnormally high heating condition and may result in glass breakage.

NOTE: Some tailgate glass breakage may result from incorrect tailgate closing sequence. See "Tailgate Operation" under Interior Features in the Vehicle Owners Manual for opening and closing procedures.

In order to avoid costly replacement of tailgate glass, the customer should be made aware of the above information and proper tailgate operation.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's the same TSB that I was given a copy of and I did give it to the Tint shop's owner. Not surprisingly, he had nothing to offer other than an apology and several attempts to discount the TSB as a measure used by ISUZU to get out of replacing cheap or defective back glass. At least I tried. :)

Oddly enough, 3 days later I had another common ailment crop up. My indash cd changer developed the dreaded ERR3 message. Fortunately, that is under warranty and I have a new one on order..

·
Registered
40 Posts
Not all tint films are created equal. some use metal particles in the tint film to provide a slightly "metallic" look from the outside. In my experience the shiny tints are NOT to be used on rear heated glass. I have had some rolls of tint film that actually registered continuity when you hit them with a DMM. There is SOME truth to this scenario. a few things have to happen though for it to get to the point of shattering your back window.

it has to be metallic tint (the tint installer should know about this)
the tint installer had to cut across 2 or more of your defroster strips

if those 2 things happen, you COULD be at risk. I have put on alot of tint and have had NO rear windows rupture, but i have had a couple get hot enough to make water steam on the outside. these also got hot enough to bubble the tint MONTHS after it was installed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.