Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2000 Rodeo DOHC 3.2L, ran fine when I shut it off, tried to start it 2 hours later and ran like crap and new codes. Pulled wiring harness and checked it with microscope, nothing wrong. ran compression test, no compression on passengers side, pulled valve cover and cams are not right. W.T.F.? I just went through this on the drivers side. The timing belt is new and the marks on the belt gears line up fine. The gear alignment pins are not sheared. How can the cams be off? the gears on the cams themselves are not seperate from the cams except for the preload gears. Correct?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
:D GREMLIN FOUND and EXTERMINATED. I had to do the same thing on the passengers side that I did on the drivers side. I have no idea how it happened, but the cams were out of time on the passengers side just like the drivers side was. I positioned the cam lobes where I thought they should be and she now runs perfect and no check engine light. YEE HAW.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:twisted: I YEE HAWed prematurly. It ran fine for about 5 miles then the check engine light started blinking and it started popping and stumbling. Then ran fine for another 5 miles. Here we go again. Any ideas?

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Not sure what all you did so....
Is it possible your tensioner is weak?and your over reving it for the tension its putting on the timing belt,and then when you rev it and shift the cams are "slipping" in the belt while the belt is "idle" no pressure from tensioner and when you start to give it throttle the cams are now under tension but "off"....hell I read that 3 timmes.... :lol: it makes sence to me...lol

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Not sure what all you did so....
Is it possible your tensioner is weak?and your over reving it for the tension its putting on the timing belt,and then when you rev it and shift the cams are "slipping" in the belt while the belt is "idle" no pressure from tensioner and when you start to give it throttle the cams are now under tension but "off"....hell I read that 3 timmes.... :lol: it makes sence to me...lol

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I am 99% certain the cam gear securing pins on one or more cams is sheared off allowing the camshaft to get out of alignment with the gear.Check this video:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I only have internet with my phone and it doesnt support YOUTUBE VIDEOS. But lets say the pins are sheared. When I preload the gears, wouldnt they spin on the camshaft with all that pressure from doing the preload? The valve springs dont put anywhere near that much pressure on the cam and gears. When i get the time I will pull the cams on the passengers side and check the pins. Hopefully this will be the last time I do this. My thanks to everyone for the input.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
The video shows an forum member displaying a camshaft and describing how the gear was loose on the shaft due to a sheared pin and how he fixed it by substituting a drill bit for the pin. The pins are not service items.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My point exactly. The gears on my camshafts were not loose. If they were, they would have turned when I preloaded them and I wouldnt have been able to preload them. So how can the gears be off and the pins be sheared if the gears arent loose on the cams?

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
BroncoDave2163 said:
My point exactly. The gears on my camshafts were not loose. If they were, they would have turned when I preloaded them and I wouldnt have been able to preload them. So how can the gears be off and the pins be sheared if the gears arent loose on the cams?
The pin can be sheared, and still be providing a great deal of resistance to spinning.

Look at the vid. You'll see that the shorn pin remnant in the gear scored a groove on the shaft.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.