Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, just wondering, how critical is it to get the torque specs exactly right with the nuts that hold the exhaust manifold to the head? I am specifically talking about my Impulse 4ZC1-T. I put the manifold on and I just wondering as I think I probably have them on a little tighter than the manual's torque spec.

Bart

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Oooops, I didn't know there was a torque spec on those bolts. does that sum it up for you? :mrgreen:

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
doesnt really matter as long as you make them tight equally or roughly equally. Probably wouldnt matter even if you didnt, but would be nice going to bed knowing you did your best. :wink:

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Put em on tight. If they are studs then you will be safe from gulling the threads in the head.

·
Registered
9,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Exactly the reassurance I was looking for. Thanks, guys. It was just another one of those things that I already did, and then I come across the page in the manual with the torque specs, so yeah, I just wanted to be sure I am not screwing myself there. Thanks!

Bart

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
The manufacturer has a recommended torque and sequence for every bolt on a motor...maybe even every bolt, nut and screw on a vehicle. The only ones that are actually important are the head, and the rod and main bearing caps. The rest are fudgible.. (that a word?) as long as they're not way over or way undertightened, it's fine, and common sense rules the job. Make everything good and snug, but don't muscle-%^&* it, or you'll spend more time using bolt/screw extractors than you will getting mechanic work done.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
When you first install headers or exhaust manifolds you make then as tight as possible, after a couple hundred miles you recheck them, and 99% of the time it'll be lose again, and that's when you tight them to the right torque, that way you avoid an gasket failure.

·
Registered
9,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. And yeah, when I tore this motor down, I was SHOCKED at how many nuts and bolts were literally finger tight. This car is 100% rust free, so I guess 20 years of driving lossened a few things up.

Bart

1 - 9 of 9 Posts