Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:?:
Hi...I am a newbie here so I will give you a little info first before my question. I have an '89 Amigo, got it a couple of years ago and I love it.
My question is....the studs that connect the exhaust manifold and the exhaust pipe, well one of them is stripped on the side that goes into the manifold. So periodically it will vibrate loose and I have to either install a new gasket and tighten it up or just tighten it back up. Is there a way to get around retapping the threads? Couldnt I just install a new stud somehow? Are all the studs the same size or do I need to take the bad one with me to the parts store?
By the way I read this forum ALOT and have learned tons of info....thanks for the knowledge and for your advice.
:wink:

·
Registered
558 Posts
well honestly, redoling the threads isnt that hard if you have a tap and dye. If not there are some auto parts stores that rent tools like that. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
The stud is super easy to replace. All of them are (well, can be) the same. If they give you an option of two, choose the longer one. In fact, you can replace the intake manifold bolts with the same studs too, which will help to prevent the threads from stripping out on the head, should you ever remove the intake manifold. Don't do that unless you are removing the intake for some reason though.

-Tad

·
Registered
79 Posts
The stud is super easy to replace.
Don't you need a special tool for gripping and backing out studs?

I searched & found this from Harbor Freight:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=47034
Is this it?

What about doing away with the studs all together and using a locking bolt that threads directly into the head? There are a few companies that offer these. I've been checking these out and I wonder if anyone has any experience with them:

http://www.stage8.com/HowTheyWork.htm

·
Registered
79 Posts
I just reread and realized you were talking about the collector studs - my bad. Wouldn't some threadlock be an easy solution for that?

btw, those locking bolts can also be used for this if you choose to remove the stud.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all your answers.....so far the tightening process is holding but for how long only time will tell. I thought that removing the EM was a pain the neck but I was told otherwise from a freind, so retapping is probably the way I will go when it decides to shimmy loose again. Again Thank You! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.