Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know if i cut the cats off, would it affect the function of the car at all ( 2001 isuzu trooper). Im afraid it may screw up the computer a little. lemme know guys

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
theres no real reason to, the modern cats have almost no resistance and you will never pass emissions. go with a high flow cat if you are really concerned.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sweet......im not worried about emmisions testing...florida doesnt do testing.....but thanks for the help

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I could be wrong ..... But 2001 Troopers should be OBD2 and needs cats. Cats no mufflers are the way to go :lol: Cats are sometimes cheaper than Flowmasters :D

·
Registered
99 Posts
Your vehicle has two cats. Two o2 sensors before the cats and two after the cats.

You can go cat-less, motor will run... but you might not see much good out of it. The Computer will be screwed up because of the cats missing. Not to mention the OBDII system will fire off error codes.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Maybe use one of those test pipes? Then you still can use your 02
sensors.

I assume that there are two before and two after to check that the
cats are working. So basicaly in a normally working system the
two O2s' before the cat should read a little lean and after the cats
they should read no O2 at all ( the cats used the extra 02 to burn the
excess fuel ).

Therefore if you take out the cats (test pipe) it will richen the mixture
because the fronts will read the same as the backs (lean). I wonder if
you do this if it will throw a code because the fronts are getting the same
signal as the back? Is there a bad cat code??

·
Registered
99 Posts
Id go for a better cat-back system.

Then explore other options like a supercharger. That would get the most bang for the work Id guess.

Something designed for this motor will already have the kinks worked out.

But seriously, for that kind of money....... just put it off for a year and see how you feel about it.

I used to want more power. Then I had children, and gas prices went up. Now I see how slow I can drive. Its kinda fun slow-rolling like pimp.

Now I dont care about power. I want better fuel economy and for my motor to last longer. Maybe thats what happen you grow up.

·
Registered
591 Posts
If you eliminate the cats on your 2001, you will have an eternal check engine light unless you replace the 2 downstream O2 sensors with some sort of cheater device. If seen these for other vehicles (mustangs maybe?). The O2 sensors downstream of the cats do nothing but continuously monitor cat performance. Pull the cats and they will "know" right away. It wont harm performance or the ECM as they don't manage fuel trim, but you will never get the CEL to go out. (without some rigged up electronics black-box) IMHO- okay for a truck on it's last legs. For a 2001? Nahhh.

G/luck
Joel

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.