·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think the 'Zu's are in the category known as the 'privateers'. Last year, most of the coverage centered on the manufacturer sponsored teams - Mitsubishi, Nissan, BMW and VW - I'm sure they'll be all over the VW's and the Touregs and also the Volvo entrant's.

I was VERY impressed with the diesel powered X5s even if they were heavily modified for the race.

Didn't say what model of 'Zu - Prolly the SWB Troops or RS/Amigos?

Cheers,

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Both ISUZU entries still in the Dakar Rally although there has been a few mechanical problems.

Finished 6 stages thus far, 7th in progress.

Standings:

104/126 Team 268

125/126 Team 269

Woohoo!

As suspected, the Mitsu teams continue to dominate with the Nissan and BMW teams making very strong showings. Ford, and VW also making quite a note. No real mention of the Volvo group though.

There's been some awesome footage including a rather amusing clip of a quad trying to cross a deep mudhole.

Then there was the capture of one of the top motorcycle riders losing his ride at about 65mph - rider required about 8 stitches in an arm. I didn't know people (and motorcycles) could slide that far horizontally :eek:

- The commentator is fun to listen to - he calls a motorcycle accident an 'off' as in "The rider suffered an off at about 65mph." :lol:

http://www.dakar.com

Cheers,

·
Registered
192 Posts
Very cool. From the pics, it appears the trucks have bigger tires and maybe a body lift(or maybe cause the frame is painted white it's really sticks out). Looks like they are pretty big team with their own support truck and a third race car(mitsu).

Con

·
Registered
45 Posts
I don't know who Toby Moody is (host of the Speed TV coverage of the rally) but I am familiar with the English commentators from Speed's Formula One coverage. When you quoted "the driver had an off" I could hear David Hobbs voice saying those words as he's done so many times.

Great stuff...I'll have to tune in and catch some of the coverage. I did watch some of it last year also. If I remember correctly there was a bit of tragedy last year...Hope this year is relatively trouble free.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, it's kinda neat, he was clean shaven when the rally began, but apparently he hasn't had a chance to shave, now he has like four days of growth on his face - life must be tough in the African plains.

Great camera shots but I'm again very disappointed in the quantity of photos on the website.

Last year, a car driver was killed in a serious rollover, didn't get to see the actual crash except after the fact. The vehicle was all but recognizable. I'm suprised there wasn't more. One video clip showed a bike rider trying to get up a rocky road when the big trucks were coming through - just as one truck went by, he 'had an off' - He missed by inches falling under the tires, in fact I seem to remember he tried to push off the truck trying to stay on the bike. Those KTMs are deceptively heavy. It's amazing the quantity and quality of video those helicopters catch. I'd like to see an unedited archive - that would be kewl.

Cheers,

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gotta love those language translation engines. There are some amusing phrases in the comments on the team's website.........an example:

Hello guys

You had already gained the greatest stage while arriving in spite of the delay!!!!
But most beautiful victory, and to be participating in this particularly difficult Dakar 2004. We are of any heart with you of Charente.
**** for the continuation
Jean-Yves

Team 268 - 100 after stage 7

Team 269 - 115 after stage 7

Anyone got any updates - haven't seen Speed on the last two stages although there have been some security concerns facilitating a stage change and a rest day coming up.....

Cheers,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.