Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a code PO442 EVAP control system small leak on my 2002 Isuzu rodeo V6.

The manual says it's located near the fuel tank under the trunk attached to the frame. I didn't locate it my first try last nite. Anybody got a better clue? Fore, aft, port, or starboard side of fuel tank?

What am I checking for once I locate it? Cracked hoses? Leaking canister?

Thanks Mates.

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
On my '99 its right behind and sort of above the rear axle. Look at the differential then look above that, its kinda rectangle shaped. If your spare tire is under the truck it might be easier to remove the spare first, the spare would be pretty much up against it.

Look for cracked hoses, leaking canister, hoses that have come off etc..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mate. I'll know where to look if it needs further investigation.

I got around to checking the gas cap which is the locking type and found that the keyway was halfway between the locked and unlocked position. I have my fingers crossed that this was my small leak.

So I cleared the code and will wait to see if it re-appears.

·
Registered
12 Posts
hello, i recieved the PO442 check engine code on my "new" 2002 isuzu trooper. There are zero fuel smells, but when i am pumping gas in continually clicks off. My concern is bad gas milage and the time it takes to pump a full tank is lengthy. Any ideas? THANKS!

·
Registered
12,208 Posts
P0442 is set when the Evaporative Emission system "EVAP" test fails with a "small leak" detected. To test the EVAP the PCM commands the canister vent valve to shut and commands the purge valve to open when the engine is first started. With the vent for the fuel tank shut the engine sucks a vacuum in the tank through the open purge valve. There is a pressure sensor located on the fuel that will measure the vacuum created and if not correct can set DTC P0442. The typical cause for this DTC is a loose gas cap or defective O ring seal on the gas cap.

The problem filling the tank is probably not related to the P0442 DTC.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I did get a new gas cap yesterday, i will try this out first. it should take a couple days to cycle through to resolve issue? Thanks so much for the information. Do you have any insight on what would cause it to not be able to pump gas? I can keep it going if it's barely squeezing the trigger, but it's very time consuming.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.